Change permissions on files and directories

Advertisement

lloyd_borrett

Change permissions on files and directories

G'day,

I've used WinSCP to transfer a Tar/GZip from a Windows XP system to a Linux system.

When expanded to the Linux system, the permissions on files are set to 640 not 644, and the directories aren't being set to 755.

Is there a way to specify this in WinSCP?

Or is there a way to quickly change a complicated directory structure to have files set to 644 and directories to 755?

I've already worked out how to change the permissions manually. But it's not a practical solution if the structure transferred is complicated. Can you imagine how long it would take to go through say a phpBB or WordPress install and change the permissions of all of the files and directories manually?

Would there be a way using WinSCP, to recursively go through a directory structure and set files to 644 and directories to 755?

Or if not using WinSCP, some other solution?

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

Advertisement

marty.mcgee

Re: Change permissions on files and directories

martin wrote:

Use change properties function, set the permissions to 644 and make sure the Add X to directories option is enabled.

This works! Just make sure to also check Set group, owners, and permissions recursively so that this happens to all sub-files and sub-directories: sub-files are assigned 0644 and sub-directories are assigned 0755 (which is 0644 plus 0111, or "X on directories"). Perfect, thanks!

ryanv

is this also available via command prompt? i need to change to permission (CHOWN / CHMOD) of the directory using batch file?

Advertisement

ron423d

this is NOT working on version 5.9.2 -

right click (on public_html), choose properties,

set octal to: 0644

check "Add X to directories"

check "set O,G, permissions recursively"

click OK,

Result: Public_Html is set properly to 0755 (good)
Files in Public_Html are set properly to 0644 (good)

any subfolders below Public_html are not changed (ie NOT set to 0755, but set to 0644). (not good)

(ie /public_html/image/ set to 0644 , even though its a directory and should have been set to 0755 )

thus recursive part + add X to directories is not working.....

ron423d

martin wrote:

ron423d wrote:

this is NOT working on version 5.9.2 -
What protocol?

SCP
(should have included that in my post)

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum