Transfer Format #984

Advertisement

monsto

Transfer Format #984

i read the thread at https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3014

this is exactly the problem i'm having with the additional problem that i can't make it stop.

• environment tab in the login screen is set to LF (unix)
  • i've set the xfer to text only. (its a perl script)
  • i rclick the file, choose 'edit' and the file downloads then comes up in my editor
  • the original file (pre upload) shows in 2 different editors (ultraedit and pspad) as unix perl
  • uploaded from local to remote, it's unix on the remote.
  • still set as text only, i download the file and it shows in the 2 editors as dos perl
  • a friend downloaded the file using commandline scp command on cygwin
    $ scp -i ssh_keys/blank_id_rsa root@blank.net:/var/www/blank.net/cgi-bin/script.pl .
    and it showed as unix for him
  • removed the default transfer presets, and created a single for Text xfer on condition of remote directory */cgi-bin
  • downloaded a different file in a different dir (robots.txt) with text xfer and it comes down as dos text
  • i was originally using 3.7.4 and upgraded just today no effect.
  • changed to sftp no effect
  • tried drag & drop xfer making sure the dialog has text chosen (it does).

so i need to get files down as unix. am i missing something somewhere?

Advertisement

monsto

someone in another thread wrote:

Hello,
I am using the 3.8.0 version.
When I transfer files ( scp ) from an Unix system to my Windows station this files are convert to the PC ( DOS ) format.
How can I preserve the Unix format of my transfered files.

this is the problem. i've done everything i listed in my first post to prevent this conversion.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

removed the default transfer presets, and created a single for Text xfer on condition of remote directory */cgi-bin

downloaded a different file in a different dir (robots.txt) with text xfer and it comes down as dos text
From this, it seems to me that you have forced WinSCP to use text mode transfer, which imply the unix->dos conversion. Just force the binary mode to avoid the conversion.

so let me see if i have this straight...

if there's a text mode transfer, winscp will *automatically* convert from unix to dos for me.

if a script is xferred binary, perl gives a 500 error. if a script has dos line-endings, perl gives a 500 error. i had previously been working with php which doesn't care about either.

it'd be a Good Idea to strip the automatic unix>dos conversion.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: checking for update

monsto wrote:

does winscp still do this conversion automatically?
Which conversion? When?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum