Network Error: Connection Refused problem

Advertisement

MicroMoth

Hi,
I cannot log into WinSCP, everytime I try I get the Network Error: Connection Refused error. The Firewall is set up to allow access on Port 22, but I'm still getting this error message.

What could be causing this error when the firewall is open to traffic on Port 22?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Network Error: Connection Refused problem

Can you connect with another SSH client? What firewall do you mean, the one on local or remote side? Also note that some local firewalls can block connection based on application, not only port.

stamfordblue

I get the same error. I have a remote server which I can access fine via remote desktop but when I enter the IP address, username and password (after ensuring my local firewall allows winscp access) I get the connection refused message.
Help!!!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

stamfordblue wrote:

I get the same error. I have a remote server which I can access fine via remote desktop but when I enter the IP address, username and password (after ensuring my local firewall allows winscp access) I get the connection refused message.
Help!!!
Remote desktop uses another port. Port 22 used by SSH can ble blocked. Also are you sure that there is SSH server running on the server?

MicroMoth wrote:

Hi,
I cannot log into WinSCP, everytime I try I get the Network Error: Connection Refused error. The Firewall is set up to allow access on Port 22, but I'm still getting this error message.

What could be causing this error when the firewall is open to traffic on Port 22?
I have the same problem as written before. We are using local firewalls on workstations. My question is whether WinSCP using a callback method which needs an open port at the caller's (client) side? If so, is the application using a fixed port for callback or does it use a port in a range or is it a totally random port? I cannot set the desktop firewalls to accept all traffic from all of our servers, because it would be too much.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I have the same problem as written before. We are using local firewalls on workstations. My question is whether WinSCP using a callback method which needs an open port at the caller's (client) side? If so, is the application using a fixed port for callback or does it use a port in a range or is it a totally random port? I cannot set the desktop firewalls to accept all traffic from all of our servers, because it would be too much.
There's no callback method. There is only one outgoing connection, typically to port 22.

gast

Network Error: Connection Refused

Sorry for my english, I am german.

I have the same problems.
With 2 other FTP-clients I get connect to all my server (6 x windows / 4 x Linux)
With WinSCP Version 3.7.6 (Build 306)
I have only a connet to a Linux-Server,
all the other (the rest) is an error like
Network Error: Connection Refused

Any ideas for help?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Network Error: Connection Refused

gast wrote:

With 2 other FTP-clients I get connect to all my server (6 x windows / 4 x Linux)
Do you use SFTP or FTP protocol with the "other FTP-clients"?

gasr

martin wrote:

gast wrote:

Do you use SFTP or FTP protocol with the "other FTP-clients"?

Sorry for my late replay.

both WS_FTP and ftp-uploader use FTP protocol, i think so.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

gasr wrote:

both WS_FTP and ftp-uploader use FTP protocol, i think so.
And do you know if there is SSH service at all on the server?

opus2295

If you are having problems connecting to a Linux server, make sure taht the server is running OPENSSH SERVER or equivalent. I just assumed that Automatix installed all this guff, but it doesn't.

In Ubuntu, check Synaptic for what has been installed in SSH. I added OPENSSH SERVER and WinSCP now connects.

jamesjiao

I thought I'd simply reply to this thread instead of opening a brand new one on a similar issue.

Ok,

I have IPCop (a linux based server/router/proxy Operating system) installed on a gateway PC that regulates network traffic on my home network with default configurations. Now According to IPCop's official site, I am supposed to use WinSCP to transfer files to the IPcop box from my admin workstation. It did not mention anything about turning any service on/off on IPcop box. Keep in mind that both boxes (ipcop and admin ws) are visible on the same subnet. I can ping from admin ws to Ipcop and vice versa

When I connect, I use IPcop's root password and port 22 (default). It comes back with Network error: Connection refused. Note also that I am unable to connect to the IPcop box with Putty either, same error message, just so you know.

I can post the log when I get home if you like.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

jamesjiao wrote:

When I connect, I use IPcop's root password and port 22 (default). It comes back with Network error: Connection refused. Note also that I am unable to connect to the IPcop box with Putty either, same error message, just so you know.
Either the SSH interface on the IPcop is not running or there is some firewall on the way preventing the connection.

Advertisement

martin wrote:

jamesjiao wrote:

Either the SSH interface on the IPcop is not running or there is some firewall on the way preventing the connection.

You are right... I just discovered that i need to turn on SSH on ipcop.. Thanks for the help. All is working..

kudin

try this...

jamesjiao wrote:

I thought I'd simply reply to this thread instead of opening a brand new one on a similar issue.

Ok,

I have IPCop (a linux based server/router/proxy Operating system) installed on a gateway PC that regulates network traffic on my home network with default configurations. Now According to IPCop's official site, I am supposed to use WinSCP to transfer files to the IPcop box from my admin workstation. It did not mention anything about turning any service on/off on IPcop box. Keep in mind that both boxes (ipcop and admin ws) are visible on the same subnet. I can ping from admin ws to Ipcop and vice versa

1. You must create rule for admin, and put in the SSH protocol to use port 222 in your IPCop.
2. Giving allow to access using ip address between your ipcop and your pc (only act as admin).
3. Set again on your WinSCP but using port 222 and logon username and password root.

steve-fr

Re: try this...

kudin wrote:

jamesjiao wrote:

Ok,

1. You must create rule for admin, and put in the SSH protocol to use port 222 in your IPCop.
2. Giving allow to access using ip address between your ipcop and your pc (only act as admin).
3. Set again on your WinSCP but using port 222 and logon username and password root.

Hi,
can you please explain in details:
1 - how to create rule for admin??
2 - Giving allow to access using ip address between your ipcop and your pc??

The default ssh port for Ipcop is actually 222
change this in your winscp settings , and see what happens, you may be pleasantly surprised :)

Farr

Advertisement

Anonymous wrote:

martin wrote:

jamesjiao wrote:

You are right... I just discovered that i need to turn on SSH on ipcop.. Thanks for the help. All is working..

thanks very much for all recommends

denys82

Network error ; Conection refused

I downloaded the WinSCP in my laptop. My computer has windows vista by the way.
I am having problems login in. I save my host name and the other details but it keeps on sending me the Network error : conection refused.
I turned off my firewall and I included the program to the allowed program too.
There are other two options in Network and Sharing Center about sharing or not sharing files but on or off it doesnt let my computer log in.
What should I do. I can not connect putty either.
I hope someone can help me.
Thanks

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Network error ; Conection refused

denys82 wrote:

I am having problems login in. I save my host name and the other details but it keeps on sending me the Network error : conection refused.
Are you sure you are using correct protocol? SSH (SFTP/SCP) vs. FTP?

denys82

Yes, I used the right protocol
It seems that something else is protecting for connecting.

Is there is any other way for me to access my serve and transfer documents from my computer?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

denys82 wrote:

Is there is any other way for me to access my serve and transfer documents from my computer?
That is question for your server administrator.

Ameeran

Installer

You need to have a jailbroken ipod and download/install a package from installer called "OpenSSH", thats what i did and it works perfectly now, also you have to be connected to the internet aswell, dont really know why though.

yahknowa

Hi

Sorry, I'm a newbie but made much progress, but receiving same problem since I am attempting log-in but receive same message. I have my WI-FI connected and IPOD 1.1.4 "with" SSH but can't log in!!! I am using Windows XP and followed everything you mentioned but can't access my iPod thru my desktop.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

yahknowa wrote:

You should better seek advice on iPod-related forum.

helpmepleeze

i got the sqame problem as every one here. net doesnt want to connect after i login. ssh everything is correctly done. what to do ...... pleeeeeze help

Henry

I used WinSCP to access a IPCOP box and it worked very fine,
but since I updated the client machine, running Windows XP, to Service Pack 3, I get this error.
I updated WinSCP to latest version, but there's no way.
The problem is not the IPCOP box, but something in XP SP3 that blocks WinSCP.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Henry wrote:

I used WinSCP to access a IPCOP box and it worked very fine,
but since I updated the client machine, running Windows XP, to Service Pack 3, I get this error.
I updated WinSCP to latest version, but there's no way.
The problem is not the IPCOP box, but something in XP SP3 that blocks WinSCP.
Have you read this FAQ?

Advertisement

Henry

Yes, I read and understood it.
But Windows firewall on the client is disabled and, just to be safer, I set up an exception for WinSCP.
I'm also connecting to the correct port on the IPCOP box for SSH, which is 222 instead of standard 22.
I repeat, everything was working fine before I upgraded XP to SP3, I think there's something in the upgrade which blocks WinSCP, but I can't get out of it.
Any suggestion would be helpful, thanks.

gerald

winscp version 4.0.7 connection problems xp sp3

I have also discovered a problem with XP SP3 and connection refused. Correct port to IPCop 222. Correct subnet address. SSH enabled. The Network Access Protection service is not running. Switched hard drives with SP1 running and it works fine. Just like Henry mentioned there has been a change in SP3 that does not allow the connection. I also use Total Commander for file management with file shares on other pc's without issue. To maintain my website, I use Total Commander's FTP client and have no issue connecting to Comcast webserver.

Can not find anyway to correct this issue. For now I use another machine that is running XP SP1 to connect to IPCop until this issue is resolved.

Any help would be appreciated. There has to be a way to get around this problem. Thanks.

sumayya

connection refused!!

hi!
i am using vmware on my XP SP3 as host machine and RedHat 9 on guest machine
i want to make these two machines communicate through winscp..
so i assigned my guest OS static IP and tried to communicate
but again same error as stated above came of Connection Refused
can u please help me figure out the problem.. i really want these two machine to conect so that i can continue my work
thanks!

Advertisement

Shaik

opus2295 wrote:

If you are having problems connecting to a Linux server, make sure taht the server is running OPENSSH SERVER or equivalent. I just assumed that Automatix installed all this guff, but it doesn't.

In Ubuntu, check Synaptic for what has been installed in SSH. I added OPENSSH SERVER and WinSCP now connects.

thank you, this suggestion helped

seth

download Open SSH via cydia

Download Open SSH via cydia and it should solve your problem....it solved mine

fool

same old stuff

Sorry guys, but I have this kind of problem as well:
I'm trying to access a linux server via WinSCP from WinXP and it works perfectly fine with Putty, but WinSCP always gives me Network error: Connection Refused.
I also tried with my firewall turned off and there should not be any proxies in the way.
Thanks!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: same old stuff

fool wrote:

Sorry guys, but I have this kind of problem as well:
I'm trying to access a linux server via WinSCP from WinXP and it works perfectly fine with Putty, but WinSCP always gives me Network error: Connection Refused.
I also tried with my firewall turned off and there should not be any proxies in the way.
Thanks!
Can you post a log file both from PuTTY and WinSCP? Please create new thread for this.

Advertisement

anaagrawal

Try installing sshserver and client

1)sudo apt-get install openssh-server

2)sudo apt-get install openssh-client

my problem got solvd with this...

Prikolist

WinSCP network error:connection refused

I got same error

my provider closed port 22 - can it be reason?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP network error:connection refused

Reposting reference to documentation on the error and closing this topic. Please start new thread if you are having another problem not dealt with in the documentation.

Advertisement

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies