Open Putty at the current location too

Advertisement

jb

Open Putty at the current location too

I know that we can open Putty with the saved login and password. But how about having it open Putty, and "change directory" to the current location pointed at in WINSCP ?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Open Putty at the current location too

jb wrote:

I know that we can open Putty with the saved login and password. But how about having it open Putty, and "change directory" to the current location pointed at in WINSCP ?
It (almost) cannot be done. At least there is no reliable way to do that. It may be possible that WinSCP, instead of asking PuTTY to open default shell, forces it to execute certain command (see Remote command box on PuTTY's SSH page). The command would be like "cd /path; /bin/bash --login". But it needs to be configurable as WinSCP cannot know preferred shell of the user and there's AFAIK no way to launch default shell, once command is provided.

Another way is to set environment variable to current path in WinSCP, which would allow user to use its value in .profile or similar. Also setting environment variables by SSH client is not widely supported by the SSH servers.

Neither of these is much user-friendly.

jb

I see.
I figured that since winSCP is primarily an FTP clients instead of a SSH Terminal, it would be difficult.

So, how about improving the internal console terminal within winSCP?

1) Allow user input
2) Pretty much for the input terminal to have at least the basic functionalities of a shell terminal.
3) There's no need for shortcuts or session saves for this internal console since we would already be pointing to it in winSCP.

Or is there any other SSH client that you know of that can handle this pass-over of the current location?

And thanks for this great work.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

jb wrote:

So, how about improving the internal console terminal within winSCP?
:-) No time.

Or is there any other SSH client that you know of that can handle this pass-over of the current location?
It's not limitation of PuTTY. It's feature of SSH itself.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum