No root login

Advertisement

shahidr100

No root login

Hi
I frequently need to download and upload files to and from a Linux Server.

Root login is disabled at Linux server so I have to login as a normal user and then go to super user to come to root. After that I do a WinSCP session and transfer files. This whole process is bit cumbersome.

Isnt there any method in WinSCP through which I can do it at one go and I do not have to log in to linux server first to allow root login and then login thru winscp.

Thank you

Advertisement

shahidr100

Re: No root login

martin wrote:

How do you allow WinSCP to login as root?

To allow root login to WinSCP, first i login to the linux server as a normal user using putty. Then I do a super user. Edit the sshd_config file to allow root login. Then I restart the sshd daemon. Then i log off from Putty. Now I log in as root using Winscp.

Shahid

shahidr100

martin wrote:

Please read FAQ.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, however, the method specified in faq is not working. I tried it couple of times. I am allowed to sudo from command line easily.

Please help.

Advertisement

shahidr100

shahidr100 wrote:

martin wrote:

Please read FAQ.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, however, the method specified in faq is not working. I tried it couple of times. I am allowed to sudo from command line easily.

Please help.

Hi,

Its working now. Actually I didnt select "SCP" as a protocol that is why it was not working.

Thank you so much.

I logged in to my internet server with putty and did the super user thing, but when I start WinSPC on my client I still have no permissions. How did you manage to get the permissions ?

Regards,
Frank

shahidr100 wrote:

Hi
I frequently need to download and upload files to and from a Linux Server.

Root login is disabled at Linux server so I have to login as a normal user and then go to super user to come to root. After that I do a WinSCP session and transfer files. This whole process is bit cumbersome.

Isnt there any method in WinSCP through which I can do it at one go and I do not have to log in to linux server first to allow root login and then login thru winscp.

Thank you

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I logged in to my internet server with putty and did the super user thing, but when I start WinSPC on my client I still have no permissions. How did you manage to get the permissions ?
Have you read the mentioned FAQ?

martin wrote:

Have you read the mentioned FAQ?

I configured my system exactly according to your suggestions prikryl, spent hours, but my connection still times out when I get to 'sudo su'. I am a programmer/developer and admin on several servers, but could not figure this out. Would you mind, just for us lowly mortals, kindly put together a DETAILED step-by-step instruction that is more specific than the very vague FAQ you always refer to?

THANKS!!!

Zsolt

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I configured my system exactly according to your suggestions prikryl, spent hours, but my connection still times out when I get to 'sudo su'. I am a programmer/developer and admin on several servers, but could not figure this out. Would you mind, just for us lowly mortals, kindly put together a DETAILED step-by-step instruction that is more specific than the very vague FAQ you always refer to?
Sorry, I'm not an unix expert. I do not know how to help you further. Maybe someone else...

martin wrote:

Sorry, I'm not an unix expert. I do not know how to help you further. Maybe someone else...

Ok, so you enter the shell command in WinSCP, make sure that you can 'sudo su' without being prompted for a root password, you start a WinSCP session by logging in through a non-priviliged account... and then what?

Thanks.

Zsolt

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Ok, so you enter the shell command in WinSCP, make sure that you can 'sudo su' without being prompted for a root password, you start a WinSCP session by logging in through a non-priviliged account... and then what?
Nothing. That's it. You should be logged in as a root.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum