keep alive while in editor

Advertisement

vlad

keep alive while in editor

Hi Martin,

I saw you added some support for the editors in WinSCP (as stand alone app) and I'm curiouse is there any plans to make winscp (far plugin) maintain ssh session (keep alives) while working in far editor? It's pain in the a.. to lose the session after editor has been opened for a while.

thanks for a great job! :)

p.s. from time to time I keep getting those odd errors while plugin tries to copy a file as a directory and giving error, sort of 'file.name is not a directory' - will turning on the logging help to track down the problem or there is something else to try?

Vlad.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: keep alive while in editor

vlad wrote:

I saw you added some support for the editors in WinSCP (as stand alone app) and I'm curiouse is there any plans to make winscp (far plugin) maintain ssh session (keep alives) while working in far editor? It's pain in the a.. to lose the session after editor has been opened for a while.
Some months ago I've spent two days trying to implement keepalives for FAR editor. But I've found it almost impossible :-(

p.s. from time to time I keep getting those odd errors while plugin tries to copy a file as a directory and giving error, sort of 'file.name is not a directory' - will turning on the logging help to track down the problem or there is something else to try?
Try the logging first. Thanks.

KAZVorpal

martin wrote:

Some months ago I've spent two days trying to implement keepalives for FAR editor. But I've found it almost impossible :-(
Couldn't you simply tell it to do a background ls every N minutes?

Literally any activity would serve as a keepalive, right?

(added later:)

Oh, you guys were talking about using it as a plugin.

My question is about making WinSCP keep the secure ftp connection alive, so that I'm not getting the popup every few minutes warning me that it's disconnected, when I'm editing web pages remotely in UltraEdit.

Reply with quote E-mail

Oleksiy

Putty does sending of null packets to keep session alive every xx seconds.
Probably this will help.

For me keeping alive session will be also useful.
Thanks.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

KAZVorpal wrote:

Sure. But there's a hardly a way in FAR how to execute an action periodically while in editor.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

KAZVorpal wrote:

Sure. But there's a hardly a way in FAR how to execute an action periodically while in editor.

benfaust

Keep Alive

Couldn't keep alive be an option that is run periodically whether or not a file is being edited? I otherwise love winscp, but have been looking for something else like it that keeps the connections, simply because this has caused so much trouble (beyond just a popup).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Keep Alive

benfaust wrote:

Couldn't keep alive be an option that is run periodically whether or not a file is being edited? I otherwise love winscp, but have been looking for something else like it that keeps the connections, simply because this has caused so much trouble (beyond just a popup).
Problem is that FAR does not provide mechanism for plugin to perform periodical operations while in editor. Only way is to hook to "redraw" event. But that occurs only if something changes in the editor (e.g. when you type). But not when FAR is idle. Well at least something for the beginning.
Anyway, added to tracker.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum