WinSCP not behaving with multi-desktops

Advertisement

kidplug

WinSCP not behaving with multi-desktops

I am using a multi-desktop tool from ATI - Hydravision on Windows XP.
This allows me to have different apps running on different virtual desktops.

I have WinSCP open on my "#4" desktop, but the taskbar item for WinSCP is showing
on all my desktops (eg #1,#2,#3...).

I have seen a couple other apps exhibit this behavior but not many.
This must be some kind of conformance problem with Windows display...?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP not behaving with multi-desktops

Can you please try first with 4.1 beta?

If that does not help, can you provide me your email address, so I can send you a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? If you do not want to post the address here, you can send me an email. You will find it (if you log in) in my forum profile. Thanks.

Advertisement

J.C.

same problem here

Hello,

I'm having the same problem right now (using v4.0.4)
does any of the newer versions fix this issue?

thank you so much for your amazing work!

J. Costello

J.C.

Nope

I have just installed the newest version (4.13 beta) and it seems this issue has not yet been addressed...
I'd like to express my congratulations in advance if you ever find a solution to this problems!
Thanks again for your amazing (free) software!

J.C.

MSVDM

Sorry for posting here again but I'd like to mention that a slightly different problem appears when using MSVDM (Virtual Desktop Manager, from Microsoft.. a powertoy for Windows XP).
I've just had a look and it seems you're already aware of the problem.

When switching desktops, WinSCP minimizes into a tiny window in the top left corner of the desktop it's in.

Thanks for looking into the issue!

Advertisement

J.C.

screenshots

I have taken some screenshots to explain the process.

WinSCP is running, not minimized. I noticed the bug doesn't happen (or, less often?) when minimized.
https://gbatemp.net/up/step1.jpg

Switching desktops with MSVDM: (either by opening the switching screen, or by using a shortcut key to another desktop... no difference)
https://gbatemp.net/up/step2.jpg

Getting back to the 1st desktop, with WinSCP...
https://gbatemp.net/up/step3.jpg
the window is originally on the top left (x=0, y=0) but I moved it a bit here.
As you can see the corners of the tiny window are square (not round), indicating that the window thinks it's maximized... or something.

Hope this helped!
If there's anything I should try, please let me know! I'm watching this topic on a regular basis.

J.C.

congrats

prikryl: congrats on winning the match vs Switzerland today!

I just wanted to add that these screenshots were taken using the latest available version of WinSCP.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: screenshots

Thanks for the screenshots. It helped me to realize that it happens only if window is maximized. I wasn't able to reproduce (already reported) problem before, as no one has mentioned that. It is fixed already. Can you register, so I have your email address and can send you a test version?
Last edited by martin on 2008-06-13; edited 1 time in total

J.C.

here I am! :)
thanks for dealing with the problem, that was really fast!

I'll be waiting for the test version.

FYI I've tried downloading the source and opening it in C++ Builder 6, but for some reason I couldn't compile it (missing .LIB files or something) so I couldn't even start trying to debug it myself.
I'm more of a Delphi (and web) guy.

Advertisement

J.C.

I've just received your email and this version works like a charm.
The bug is gone!

I've only tried it under MSVDM though (Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager) not any other desktop managers, but I suppose this fix will cover them aswell.

Thanks again!

kidplug

Same issue

I am still seeing the same issue with my multi-desktop software.

1) No matter which desktop WinSCP is "sent to / anchored to", the taskbar item still appears on all desktops.

2) I also just discovered that on the desktop where WinSCP is anchored, if you minimize it, then goto another desktop, the taskbar item is gone there.

3) I also discovered that on the inactive desktops (where WinSCP is just on the taskbar), clicking the taskbar item 3 times will result in "getting" WinSCP onto that desktop (meaning WinSCP is visible). WinSCP is still on the original desktop too.

4) After #3 (WinSCP active on two desktops), you can minimize WinSCP on either desktop, and the taskbar item will disappear from all other desktops (just like #2), BUT WinSCP will still be visible on the other "active" desktop - but without a taskbar item. I know this is getting crazy...

This is really not a big issue - the application is a wonderful tool and completely usable as is.
Thanks!
-Mitch

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Same issue

kidplug wrote:

I am still seeing the same issue with my multi-desktop software.
What version of WinSCP are you using? What multi-desktop application are you using?

kidplug

Multi-Desktop issue with taskbar

I am using WinSCP 4.1.6 (build 412).

ATI > Hydravision multi-desktop / multi-monitor utility.

The version is:
HYDRAVISION(tm) Version 3.25.0006, Complete Edition
Control Panel Version 3.25.0006
Desktop Manager Version 3.25.0006
MultiDesk Version 3.25.0006

The "Desktop Manager" lets you move windows from one monitor to the other with hot keys. WinSCP works fine with this.

The "MultiDesk" lets you have virtual desktops, each with its own set of anchored apps. This is where the strange taskbar behavior is occurring.

FWIW - on most (all?) apps, any modal dialog box will show on ALL desktops, regardless of where the actual app is anchored. Example: an alert box from IE.
Also I just noticed with an app called TOAD (oracle tool) - i opened the login dialog box, and that caused TOAD to exhibit the same behavior as WinSCP, whereas before its taskbar icon was only on Desktop 1. Now its taskbar icon is on all desktops (like WinSCP).

Thanks,
Mitch

Advertisement

changosurf

has this bug been fixed?

Im running the latest version as of june 2012, ver.4.3.8 build 1771, on windows 7 pro.
I have a dual-monitor setup (laptop screen as secondary display + external monitor as primary display)

I use a utility called 'multi-mon taskbar'.
this utility allows you to add a taskbar to the secondary display, and move windows(and their taskbar icons) from one display&taskbar to the other.
more info here.
https://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

winscp doesnt behave correctly with this utility.
the winscp taskbar icon always shows up on the secondary display's taskbar.
moving the winscp window&taskbar icon from one display to the other (using multimon taskbar's move feature) doesnt work. Also, the winscp window sometimes gets resized incorrectly and the top of the winscp window ends up off the screen (while multimon taskbar is running).

this definitely seems to be related to winscp/multi monitor bug.
it seems like something is wrong with the way winscp is registering its window dimensions & position within windows? just a thought...
Whats the status of this bug? has there been any work on it?[/url]

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: has this bug been fixed?

changosurf wrote:

Im running the latest version as of june 2012, ver.4.3.8 build 1771, on windows 7 pro.
I have a dual-monitor setup (laptop screen as secondary display + external monitor as primary display)
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

cs

Re: has this bug been fixed?

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email.

ok, I sent you the email. will wait for a response...

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum