Anonymous FTP

Advertisement

gugaci

Anonymous FTP

How do I use anonymous FTP? I cannot find a tick box or place to specify "login anonymously" option, though the host is set to use FTP.

Advertisement

DavePorter

anonymous does not work

I'm trying to connect to a public ftp site that I have accessed for years using Filezilla and other ftp apps.

Just found WinSCP and really like it, but when I try to connect to this site I only get:

Connection failed.
Syntax error in parameters or arguments.

All I'm doing is entering the ftp site, the port number 21 and anonymous for user name and leaving password blank.

Must be doing something dumb !

cheers Dave

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: anonymous does not work

DavePorter wrote:

Just found WinSCP and really like it, but when I try to connect to this site I only get:

Connection failed.
Syntax error in parameters or arguments.
Please post a full log file showing the problem.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. For posting extensive logs you may use pastebin or similar application. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

yzorg

You can use anon FTP

I used this when scripting using synchronize command for anonymous FTP:

open ftp://anonymous:@wireless.fcc.gov

Notice the 'anonymous' user name before the colon, nothing between the : and @ means the password is left blank. Without this the script halts. I think FTP should not halt, or a new option to open should be created to use anon instead of requiring authentication syntax for sites that don't require any authentication (public data).

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: You can use anon FTP

yzorg wrote:

I used this when scripting using synchronize command for anonymous FTP:

open ftp://anonymous:@wireless.fcc.gov

Notice the 'anonymous' user name before the colon, nothing between the : and @ means the password is left blank. Without this the script halts. I think FTP should not halt, or a new option to open should be created to use anon instead of requiring authentication syntax for sites that don't require any authentication (public data).
Thanks for your post.

This issue is being tracked already:
https://winscp.net/tracker/653

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum