my wish list (license, rsync, putty)

Advertisement

my wish list (license, rsync, putty)

Here's my quick wish list after checking out how far winscp has come:

The license, could you please clarify it? I haven't recommended it to people since it was closed and un-audited but now it's on Sourceforge which AFAIK only accepts OSI compilant licenses. Could you put up a "License" menu item on the home page perhaps?
    rsync would be my most wanted next feature. It is all GPL'ed and if you're license compilant you could probably re-use most of it. rsync is a protocol that works much like scp only it can do resumes and lots of other cool stuff. Sometimes I wish people could just remove their scp and force everyone to learn rsync instead.
    PuTTY is obviously an inspiration for WinSCP. I find it most irritating that I have to verify keys both in PuTTY and WinSCP. Couldn't you just use his registry entry for storing public keys? Pleasepleaseplease? Pretty please?

Coolest of all would of course be if you would be license compatible with PuTTY so your programs could be distributed together. Together they are a much better product!

The short version: Oooh! This rocks! Time to start using it! Thanks a bunch for all your work...

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: my wish list (license, rsync, putty)

The license, could you please clarify it? I haven't recommended it to people since it was closed and un-audited but now it's on Sourceforge which AFAIK only accepts OSI compilant licenses. Could you put up a "License" menu item on the home page perhaps?
Source code of WinSCP is available for download for more than one year now. Since 16th July 2003, licence is GPL. It is stated at bottom of the download page.

rsync would be my most wanted next feature. It is all GPL'ed and if you're license compilant you could probably re-use most of it. rsync is a protocol that works much like scp only it can do resumes and lots of other cool stuff. Sometimes I wish people could just remove their scp and force everyone to learn rsync instead.
OK, maybe, but not soon. Reusing code of command-line client is not that easy. SFTP can do resume as well.

PuTTY is obviously an inspiration for WinSCP. I find it most irritating that I have to verify keys both in PuTTY and WinSCP. Couldn't you just use his registry entry for storing public keys? Pleasepleaseplease? Pretty please?
Is it that big problem to click twice on Yes? :-) I also consider it to be a wrong practice to write to other application's registry key.

Coolest of all would of course be if you would be license compatible with PuTTY so your programs could be distributed together. Together they are a much better product!
Well, Putty's licence (MIT) is little bit more open than GPL. But I do not see a reason why you could not distribute them together.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum