"Daylight Saving Time" configuration option is missing

Advertisement

dma_k
dma_k avatar

"Daylight Saving Time" configuration option is missing

After reading this note about DST tricks, I think the community really needs this option in plugin configuration settings. Without it there are problems with SCP protocol.

Advertisement

dma_k
dma_k avatar

Re: "Daylight Saving Time" configuration option is missing

Thanks! Found in "Environment" tab. Many thanks for the wonderful software! However I failed to make Unix timestamp to be the same as Windows timestamp: I want the file that was created at 21:00 at windows to have time 21:00 on Unix for output of ls command. Now I get the 1 hour difference... as WinSCP adds one hours to all Unix timestamps. I believe, I have to leave with this. Or maybe I can trick the environment settings, so WinSCP will think that Linux is running a different timezone?

The problem reveals itself, when I upload files, which are dependencies in Makefile, so make does not capture them, as they are in the past.

dma_k
dma_k avatar

martin wrote:

What version of Windows are you using?

From Windows XP I connect to Linux Debian:
WinXP Pro, SP3, Timezone: GMT+1 (daylight saving)
Linux Debian, Timezone: CEST

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Thanks. Are you able to reproduce the same problem with WinSCP application (not the FAR plugin)?

dma_k
dma_k avatar

martin wrote:

Thanks. Are you able to reproduce the same problem with WinSCP application (not the FAR plugin)?

I have played with few servers I came to conclusion, that it is a matter of misconfiguration, but I was not able to locate the source of the problem. Suppose I have server1 (SuSE) and server2 (Debian), both are set "Adjust remote timestamp with DST (Windows)" option in session settings for WinSCP.
The experiment is:
  • Take any file (install.cmd in my case) and copy it to remote server.
  • Report the timestamp of the remote file
  • Try to overwrite the file and report the timestamp, as seen to WinSCP.
Interesting that for server2 the remote timestamp is OK, but WinSCP probably makes the wrong translation when it is reported back. I have checked the behaviour both for Far Plugin and WinSCP standalone: they both behave the same way. If you need additional information of the top of what I supply below - let me know.

For server1 I got:
server1:~> ll install.cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 u4412 users 94 Apr 26 21:02 install.cmd
server1:~> date
Tue May  4 12:25:24 CEST 2010
server1:~> date -R
Tue, 04 May 2010 12:25:50 +0200
server1:~> rpm -qa | grep ssh
openssh-4.2p1-18.36
Remote file 'install.cmd' already exists. Overwrite?
New:            94 bytes, 26/04/2010 21:02:56
Existing:       94 bytes, 26/04/2010 21:02:56
For server2 I got:
server2:~$ ll install.cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 dk users 94 Apr 26 21:02 install.cmd
server2:~$ date
Tue May  4 12:21:56 CEST 2010
server2:~$ date -R
Tue, 04 May 2010 12:22:11 +0200
server2:~$ dpkg -l | grep ssh
ii  openssh-server    1:5.1p1-8
Existing:       94 bytes, 26/04/2010 22:02:56

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

If your server is *nix, you should select "Adjust remote timestamp to local conventions (Unix)"

dma_k
dma_k avatar

The confirmation is the same this time, but I am not happy with the remote timestamp, as the remote file is 1 hour "earlier". That means, if I upload files which are a part of make/ant build, the build will not be triggered, as these build frameworks check that dependencies are older (e.g. have a bigger timestamp) than the artifact to be build.

For server1 I got:
server1:~> ll install.cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 u4412 users 94 Apr 26 20:02 install.cmd
For server2 I got:
server2:~$ ll install.cmd
-rw-r--r-- 1 dk users 94 Apr 26 20:02 install.cmd

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ok, than that the option to use is "Preserve remote timestamp (Unix)".

dma_k
dma_k avatar

I agree with you. But is there any elegant way to make timestamps equal on Linux and Windows? Because make is not working properly (for C++ developers), cache refresh will fail for static web content (for Web Developers), etc.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

dma_k wrote:

I agree with you. But is there any elegant way to make timestamps equal on Linux and Windows? Because make is not working properly (for C++ developers), cache refresh will fail for static web content (for Web Developers), etc.
It what terms equal? If you mean the Windows Explorer vs. what you see on Unix command line, you will need to upgrade to Windows 7, which abandoned the DST hack present in the earlier version of Windows (as described in the FAQ). Though the latest released version of WinSCP does not recognised that yet. The next on will. See tracker.

dma_k
dma_k avatar

martin wrote:

It what terms equal? If you mean the Windows Explorer vs. what you see on Unix command line, you will need to upgrade to Windows 7, which abandoned the DST hack present in the earlier version of Windows (as described in the FAQ).
For "equal" I mean equals in terms of the experiment steps I've described above: the time for local file is equal to the time reported by 'ls'.
Thanks to the link to the tracker. I found this topic describing exactly the same problem as I have. As I cannot install Windows7, does it mean I have to leave with 1-hour time difference?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum