ARGH - There IS a file size limit !!!

Advertisement

BobENose

ARGH - There IS a file size limit !!!

ARGH - enough said right?
So, I'm trying out 1.0 - looking for a stable, fast, reliable SCP program - and foolishly trust 1.0
I've used 1.0 in the past to COPY files to a network attached file server - but just now (desperate for disk space) I moved a video file using 1.0

No more video file.
The video file was 17GB+ - it arrived at the file server as ~330KB
and sure enough, that's all that's there - SCP might be faster than MS file copy, but at least my bits get there
Lemme know when WinSCP 2.x non-beta is ready, with unlimited file size support (contrary to the forum post that asks that VERY question and the response is "no limit") -- now that I'm taking my time to look at the tool, sure enough - MOST of my files >2Gb don't even SHOW UP in the local directory window (they're really there, WinSCP just doesn't list them)
I don't know why the 17Gb file showed up, but not the 2-6GB files, but oh well.
FORTUNATELY, I had already split that 17Gb file into sub parts, and the massive file / remainder that I hadn't extracted I didn't care about - still - I don't expect a SECURE copy program to trash my files.

hmm - on the positive note, I DO have 17Gb FREE now....

- Bob

System info: Win XP SP1
Dell Dimension 4550
1Gb ram
3.06GHz Intel w/ Hyper threading on
~160Gb disk space (and still not enough!)

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: ARGH - There IS a file size limit !!!

WinSCP1 and WinSCP2 until build #110 did have problems with uploading large files. Alhtought current version should not have. Have you tried it? If you experience any problems, please let me know.

To the problem with listing large files: I'll look at that.

efedora

Re: ARGH - There IS a file size limit !!!

martin wrote:

WinSCP1 and WinSCP2 until build #110 did have problems with uploading large files. Alhtought current version should not have. Have you tried it? If you experience any problems, please let me know.
I tried some large files and the limit seems to be 8meg. The error message is 'no connection' so it appears that something may be timing out. The file stops always at 8megs.
Hope this helps.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum