Modified Base64 file/folder names

Advertisement

adem

Modified Base64 file/folder names

WinSCP already does some character substitution, but sometime it is not enough.

Take for example folders managed by various mail servers. They encode the folder/file names using 'Modified Base64' and it really is a PITA to locate the item you're trying to get because of that encoding.

I am wondering if there could be an option in WinSCP so that I could tell it to consider all the names under a given path to be Modified Bas64 and treat them accordingly.

I could help you with interpretation of Madify Base64 if you like. But it reealy would help.

TVMIA,

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Modified Base64 file/folder names

I can consider this, but I do not suppose I'll add it. I do not want to mess the user interface with the options that will be used by only few users. Sorry :-(

Re: Modified Base64 file/folder names

martin wrote:

I can consider this, but I do not suppose I'll add it. I do not want to mess the user interface with the options that will be used by only few users. Sorry :-(

I fully understand what you're saying. There is always that possibility that if you listen to your users too much you end up with a bloatware.

I also understand that there must be a limit to what can be requested especially from an OSS. I too write OSS and I know how people ask for things left write and centre, and complain when they can not get it fot free..

Trouble is, this feature is something that *no other* (commercial or otherwise) software has implemented. It is something you need extremely badly if you are dealing with a box that handles email or news.

Here is a real life scenario: Your mail server has half a million or more messages and you are asked to locate one (or a group) of them from a backup server so that the user gets back that stupid message (s)he deleted.

Trouble is, most/all those folder/filenames are Modified Base64... A real pain in the eye... you're going to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to locate it/them.
-----
Having said all this, I'd like to point out that I can of course take no for an answer. Just that I wanted to let you know why one needs it --those that need it may have given up well before they located something as excellent as WinSCP.

Thank you again for your efforts and time.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum