"Set defaults" button does not work for me

Advertisement

jbw

"Set defaults" button does not work for me

I'm using WinSCP v4.2.9 on WinXP, with SFTP, Explorator interface, options saved in file.
On server side it is OpenSSH's builtin chrooted SFTP server.

Default values of parameters does not satisfy me, especially:
1) UTF-8 filenames - I wish to have it always "on" because WinSCP never recognize it well
2) Remote directory - I wish always have it remembered

I've fine-tuned other parameters as well.
Unfortunately, "Set defaults" does not save these settings, so the only way I can easy create new profile is to edit another, previously saved one.
In consequence of that the "New" button is useless.

"Help" text is unclear in that matter, because it reaad
Set defaults button sets current session options as defaults
Perhaps it is because my poor english, but I cannot guess if "current session options" mean "options of current session" or "currently loaded options of session".
I'd rather assume "current session" mean "currently running session", but there is no "Set defaults" button in run time.
Perhaps it could mean "currently loaded session profile" as I'd like to, but it does not work in such manner.
I'm sure it should be expressed better.
And, of course, It should be made working.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: "Set defaults" button does not work for me

The hep tests says "The Set defaults button sets current session (not selected stored session) options as defaults." So I hope it is clear. If not, please fix it.

Anyway, it really behaves as described. If is still does not for you, please post step by step instructions to reproduce your problem.

jbw

There are 2 distinct problems:

I. Misunderstanding. According to Wikipedia and many dictionaries I took as reference, "session" mean "established connection between computers". Stored set of parameters should be called "session profile" or something like that, but definitely *not* a "session". Please note that not all of WinSCP users are native english speakers.

II. Broken "Set defaults" option. As described above, there is ambiguity about term "session", so I can see 2 different meanings of it:

1) Established connection. Let's try:

a. Create and save new profile under the name "TEST". It made new section in WinSCP.ini
[Sessions\TEST]
HostName=main.jbw.pl
UserName=test
FSProtocol=2
UpdateDirectories=1
Utf=1
RemoteDirectory=/

b. Start the session. It started successfully, but I cannot save defaults because there is no such button.

2. Stored profile. I have "TEST" profile created with previous step, so:

a. Highlight "TEST" entry in "stored sessions" box. The help says:
(not selected stored session)
, so

b. Click "Edit" button (which apparently stands for "Load stored session profile")

c. Look at UTF-8 option, yes it is "on"

d. Click "Set defaults" button

e. Got question if I wish to save defaults, answer "Yes"

f. Close WinSCP

g. Launch WinSCP again and create new session profile

h. Look at UTF-8 option, it read "Auto" :-(

martin wrote:

Anyway, it really behaves as described.

No, it doesn't.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Thanks for your suggestions.

For the "Set defaults": It sets settings of the session currently loaded into the Login dialog. So neither of yours two options.

jbw

martin wrote:

For the "Set defaults": It sets settings of the session currently loaded into the Login dialog. So neither of yours two options.

Of course, it is my dream to get it working as you claim. I cannot understand why some options are saved, whereas some are not.

Remember last used directory and UTF-8 encoding for filenames are placed in WinSCP.ini under the stored session name, so user could expect to save them with defaults. Presently, it is very inconvenient to change them in every created profile.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

jbw wrote:

Remember last used directory and UTF-8 encoding for filenames are placed in WinSCP.ini under the stored session name, so user could expect to save them with defaults. Presently, it is very inconvenient to change them in every created profile.
But it really works.

1. Run WinSCP
2. Go to Environment tab
3. Set UTF-8 encoding for filenames to On
4. Go to Stored sessions tab.
5. Click Set defaults and confirm
6. Exit and re-run WinSCP
7. Go to Environment tab
8. UTF-8 encoding for filenames is set to On

If it still does not work for you this way, I'll send you a debug version.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum