DST Bug?

Advertisement

bunklung

DST Bug?

I have been doing an off site backup for a few months during DST (summer months).

I have been using the option "new and updated file(s) only".

It works great until I noticed large backups for files that already existed. On closer inspections the files that were being replaced were identical except they were modified by 1 hour. Somewhere DST is not being adjusted or accounted for here.

Old bug? I don't know but this one might be unrelated. I don't keep persistent connections up like this guy:
https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7643

The system dates on both machines are close.

I know my Windows box observes DST. Perhaps my Ubunto box was not during the summer months?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: DST Bug?

What version of WinSCP are you using?

If you upload a file, would the resulting remote file have the same timestamp as the source one (as seen in the WinSCP file panels)?

bunklung

4.2.9 is the version I am using.

These dates are coming from the remote window and compared to dates in Windows explorer OR the local view window within WinSCP (the local window AND Windows Explorer are the same dates).

The timestamps (changed/modified) are off by exactly 1 hour. I don't know if it effects others months (for year 2009 files) because some of the files were already replaced due to the bug (or what ever we end up calling it)

The file dates are from 2009, October.

More info from 2010 backups:
3/13/2010 dates prior are ok, BUT 3/16/2010 dates forward are off by 1 hour
11/7/2010 dates forward are ok, BUT dates prior to 11/6 are off by 1 hour.

Seems to effect 4.2.5 also. I wonder if my Ubunto box did something odd at some point and adjusted these dates?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Once again, if you upload a file, would the resulting remote file have the same timestamp as the source one (as seen in the WinSCP file panels)? Please try this both for file creates during DST and outside.

Please see documentation:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/timestamp#windows

bytre

I see the DST problem as well (winscp 4.2.9 although I've also run into it with 4.2.7 and 4.3.1).

When I do a sync (mirror files via SFTP) to my local (windows server 2008 r2 SP1 RC) from remote (win 2008 R2 release w/copssh), it finds 114 of 1869 files as being off my 1 hour (these files are all static). I can sync them down, and then if I sync again, it identifies the same files.

Not sure if it relates, but all of these files are dated between 1985 and 2005, nothing later.

If I attempt to sync timestamps, it dutifully goes through the process, but on my next mirror sync, the same files are identified again as being a mismatch.

Advertisement

bytre

When your server runs pre-7 version of Windows, you need to select DST mode Adjust remote timestamp with DST.

To be clear, I am running Windows Server 2008 R2, which is the server form of Windows 7. It is not the Vista-based Windows Server 2008 (specifically, windows 6.1.7600 and 6.1.7601).

I will try the adjust remote timestamp option anyway to see what results I get.

bytre

Using the adjust remote timestamp option appears to solve the problem, and allow a timestamp sync to work.

My issue is not completely solved as I run into another problem syncing timestamps, but I suspect it is a different defect (or not winscp's issue).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

bytre wrote:

My issue is not completely solved as I run into another problem syncing timestamps, but I suspect it is a different defect (or not winscp's issue).
OK, let me know if you need any help.

bytre

I've researched a bit further. I am using the adjust timestamp option successfully, which has updated the timestamps on the majority of the files I am trying to sync.

However, there are a number of holdouts, and I think it has to do with the changing rules of Daylight Savings Time in the US.

Up until 2006, daylight savings time was "first sunday in april through last sunday in Oct", in 2007 forward, it was "second sunday of march through first sunday in november".

Back to WinSCP (running Win scp 4.3.1 b1099, Windows Server 2008 - windows 6.1.7601). When I run a timestamp sync (with the GUI for review), it flags a bunch of files with March and October timestamps (and a couple in early April or early November) - for 2000 through 2006. I'll apply the timestamp sync, it runs through the motions, but when the directory refreshes, it still shows differing timestamps, and if I sync again, it flags the same set of files again.

I have tried debug logging, but find little timestamp-related information in there.

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum