WinSCP 3.55 (build 211) bug report

Advertisement

WinSCP 3.55 (build 211) bug report

Using Drag&Drop only moving is possible and no copying, although both options show up on right-clicking and moving the mouse to the desktop for example.

Same context: moving is default, when releasing the right mouse button. Well actually it does not make any difference, as copying does not work anyway, but copying was default some time ago, wasn't it? (not really sure on this one)

Same context: Hitting Abort on a Drag&Drop-Action will end in this error message: "WinSCP was not able to detect folder, where the dragged file(s) was dropped. Either you have not dropped ......" (rather long message snipped)

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP 3.55 (build 211) bug report

Guest wrote:

Using Drag&Drop only moving is possible and no copying, although both options show up on right-clicking and moving the mouse to the desktop for example.
Thanks for info. I haven't noticed the problem with menu. However I fear that it cannot be fixed, I'll see.

You may copy file by holding down Ctrl key, while dragging.

but copying was default some time ago, wasn't it? (not really sure on this one)
Moving was not allowed in older versions. So copying was the only option. Anyway, source application of drag&drop operation cannot select default options. It is the target application (usally Windows Explorer) that does it.

martin wrote:

Thanks for info. I haven't noticed the problem with menu. However I fear that it cannot be fixed, I'll see.

I'm a bit confused. Just to make it clear: I was talking about moving/copying from remote server to local desktop not the other way round, so I do not know, what "target application (usally Windows Explorer)" has to do with this one.

Well, anyway, if there is no way to solve this, would you mind adding a preference option on this, like
Default behaviour
[ ]move
[ ]copy

I'm pretty sure most users will use WinSCP to copy some configuration files and stuff like that from a server to their local machine without the need to remove the remote source file all time.

but copying was default some time ago, wasn't it? (not really sure on this one)
Moving was not allowed in older versions. So copying was the only option.
You are right. Silly me.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Guest wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Just to make it clear: I was talking about moving/copying from remote server to local desktop not the other way round, so I do not know, what "target application (usally Windows Explorer)" has to do with this one.
In Windows it is a target application which controls most of the drag&drop operation. Like selection of copy/move operation.

Well, anyway, if there is no way to solve this, would you mind adding a preference option on this, like Default behaviour
As stated in my previous post, WinSCP CANNOT select the default operation. It can only suggest list of meaningful operations. In this case WinSCP forbid explorer to select "create link" operation, because it is nonsense for remote files.
So only solution would be revert to older version behaviour, where "move" was not allowed, thus "copy" as the only option become the default.

And still, you may hold Ctrl key while dragging to select "copy". Just as you can do it with Local files. This is how I do it, so this is also why I haven't realized that the menu does not work (I do not use it). I haven't even known that there is a "menu" feature with right mouse button. It was WinSCP users who has pointed me to it.

Also to make menu selection work, you may revert to older drag&drop mechanics in Preferences Window ("Use temporary folder" option on drag&drop tab).

martin wrote:

As stated in my previous post, WinSCP CANNOT select the default operation. It can only suggest list of meaningful operations. In this case WinSCP forbid explorer to select "create link" operation, because it is nonsense for remote files.
So only solution would be revert to older version behaviour, where "move" was not allowed, thus "copy" as the only option become the default.

I guess you got me wrong. It won't matter which right-mouse option will be default in the sense of being in bold letters. It would be nice, if copy and move would work at all without keyboard interaction. Becoming more technically: Does winscp get any return value on which option the user clicked?

If there is no way to accomplish this, it would be just fine, if there will be no right mouse option at all (like in the 3.4.2-branch for example), but after releasing the mouse button the dialog box "Copy file 'filename' to drop target" will open and could have an switch, allowing to use the predefined option (copy or move) or to change it for the current transfer. This way user can decide transparantly which action they want to perform without sticking to keyboard interaction. Speaking for myself, I hardly ever use mouse and kbd at the same time. How about this one?

Advertisement

Shame on me. I forgot another one.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure installing winscp on a fresh machine and choosing "winscp" and "pageant" only, will install "winscp" and "puttygen". Would you mind checking this in the installer script?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Guest wrote:

I guess you got me wrong. It won't matter which right-mouse option will be default in the sense of being in bold letters. It would be nice, if copy and move would work at all without keyboard interaction. Becoming more technically: Does winscp get any return value on which option the user clicked?
No I got you right. Byt "default" operation I've meant the one that is performed without using menu and the keyboard.

Anyway I have found some dirty tricks how to solve the both problems you have (make the copy default and make the menu work).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Guest wrote:

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure installing winscp on a fresh machine and choosing "winscp" and "pageant" only, will install "winscp" and "puttygen". Would you mind checking this in the installer script?
Thanks I'll fix it :-)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

martin wrote:

Anyway I have found some dirty tricks how to solve the both problems you have (make the copy default and make the menu work).
I haven't thought it through. The dirty tricks are exclusive. I can either make the menu work or make the copy default operation. I do not know which one is better :-(

Advertisement

martin wrote:

martin wrote:

I haven't thought it through. The dirty tricks are exclusive. I can either make the menu work or make the copy default operation. I do not know which one is better :-(
I vote for making copy the default operation! My users have encountered a LOT of problems with the change, losing many files on the server because they are used to copying as default and now they are removing files without noticing. We have had to revert to 3.5.0; please change this default behaviour back!

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum