rsync

Advertisement

Advertisement

idw

rsync

rsync is different to synchronisation in that only the changed parts of the file are transferred (the delta). It results in vastly reduced data transfer. This would be great

Dmitry Koterov

There is an open-source librsync implementation for Windows. And much of Unix systems do have rsync installed and accessed via a simple SCP call. So - it would be great if WinSCP will support rsync protocol in the future.

In my practice, rsync is VERY fast - it synchronizes two 50M directories in about 10 s, when there are no changes in them, and there are about 1000 different files. Ping time is not so critical in this case as it is in WinSCP (600 files with ping = 500 ms are synced about 10 minutes minimum). I think that rsync is the fastest synchronyzation solution, but it has 3 minuses which WinSCP could destroy after the integration:
- complex command-line interface
- no support for keepuptodate feature
- no builtin support for persistent SSH connections

yasuo

bump rsync

hello there,

since i dont know any useful, userfriendly, graphical rsync-clients for windows i would like to see it in winscp, too.

imo, rsync is a good protocoll to let users upload and download big data, but when i tell a windows-user to use "rsync.exe -a rsync://foo:bar/ c:\downloads\"... well you know they will ask if i cannot just "send it via icq" or so ^^

PS:
its O/T, but DOES anyone know good rsync-guis for windows?

Advertisement

martin_s

Vote for rsync support in WinSCP

I would like to vote for this feature.
Synchronisation in WinSCP is already quite good but rsync does - like alreayd mentioned in this forum - much better
in only synchronise the parts/blocks which have changed.

This would make WinSCP is first Windows GUI for rsync which is much needed anyway!

thanks,
Martin

ericsson

Aother important issue with rsync

Never mentioned so far, but:
rsync does checksum src and dst files in multiple chunks to verify if they are different. It's kind of a speeded up, distributed binary comparison. This is by far a more reliable procedure than comparing modification dates and size etc. of the files which is - at least for me - too error-prone.

Thus, GREAT that you have rsync feature on the todo list - nothing else expected from the builders of such a great tool :wink:

Re: Aother important issue with rsync

ericsson wrote:

Never mentioned so far, but:
rsync does checksum src and dst files in multiple chunks to verify if they are different. It's kind of a speeded up, distributed binary comparison. This is by far a more reliable procedure than comparing modification dates and size etc. of the files which is - at least for me - too error-prone.

Thus, GREAT that you have rsync feature on the todo list - nothing else expected from the builders of such a great tool :wink:

I vote for this too. I discovered that synchronization with WinSCP (timestamp and size) wasn't working sometimes because I did a "synchronize timestamps" and then a diff between two directories and I had 2 files which has the same size but not the same inside and then WinSCP concluded that files were identical (same timestamp and same size).

Advertisement

maphew

will offer bounty for rsync support

I too vote for rsync support. I didn't realise there was a librsync for windows now, that is good news, hopefully making rsync in winscp actually practical?

Anyway, I'm willing to put up a little money to contribute to the effort.

Advertisement

xb

Rsync feature would have my vote as well!

With Rsync winscp could really speed up synchronization, especially over slow links.

rsync might be possible already with Custom Commands

I support this too, but it might already be possible with Custom Commands. I have not tested this theory. It would also probably require a Windows port of rsync, if one exists. Still, a fully built-in option would be better.

Advertisement

Joschi

Rsync protocol...

I would like to see the
rsync:// protocol
and rsync via ssh to be supported via winscp.

Thanks, for listening and the good work.

Advertisement

Ciantic

+1 RSYNC!

I've been having a lot of problems with latest WinSCP and synchronization, namely periodically Invalid Memory Access, and now some Invalid Pointers too. It would be nice to have a decent GUI for RSYNC and WinSCP would be great.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ciantic wrote:

I've been having a lot of problems with latest WinSCP and synchronization, namely periodically Invalid Memory Access, and now some Invalid Pointers too.
Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

Advertisement

cvpub

+1 for rsync support

+1 for rsync support

Heck, give us a $$$ estimage and perhaps we can paypal/dwolla some funding..
or do a kickstart like for it ;)

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum