Sync Problems: 4 hour time Difference

Advertisement

User999999

Sync Problems: 4 hour time Difference

The following is causing serious problems for FTP synchronization.

When using WinSCP to view standard FTP access of an Ipower hosting site, the uploaded times on the remote server are exactly 4 hours ahead of my local time. This means that a file I upload at 6 pm will show a 10 pm remote time. This may or may not be related, but GMT time is 4 hours ahead of my local time. The problem does not appear to occur when using FileZilla (I prefer WinSCP). Also, when I use the time zone offset, it offsets the remote server time using my current time (i.e. if my local time is 6 pm, it will show 2 pm when I use the WinSCP Timezone offset of -4 hours)

Timezone offset summary:
If Timezone offset is set to 0, then the remote server time is displayed 4 hours ahead of my local time.
If Timezone offset is set to -4, then remote server time is displayed as 4 hours behind my time.
If timezone offset is set to +4, then the remote serve time is displayed 4 hours ahead of my local time.

This is causing serious problems for synchronization.

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Sync Problems: 4 hour time Difference

Sorry, I got lost. Can you post a few examples of file timestamps using various settings?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

User999999 wrote:

Prikryl, I'd be happy to include more info. What is it you would like to see? (i.e. screenshots, typing out examples, etc.)
As much as you can. Screenshots with some comments would be nice. Thanks.

User999999

martin wrote:

User999999 wrote:

Prikryl, I'd be happy to include more info. What is it you would like to see? (i.e. screenshots, typing out examples, etc.)
As much as you can. Screenshots with some comments would be nice. Thanks.

Please review the attached PNG file.
Note the difference in time between Local Directory and Remote Web Directory, despite timezone settings.

The upper scenario in the picture demonstrates my problem.
The lower scenario demonstrates my attempt to resolve the problem.
For curiosity sake, I tried a Timezone offset of +4, which produced: Local time:12:53 PM; Remote Time: 4:53 PM --> Thus a +4 timezone offset did NOT affect my time-stamp difference problem.

Suggestive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Description: Note the difference in time between Local Directory and Remote Web Directory, despite timezone settings

TimeStamp_Differences.PNG

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

User999999

martin wrote:

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

I did not receive an email from you. Please try again.
Are there any other options we can try besides installing a debug version?

Reply with quote E-mail

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Would be better then, if you email me, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Tanuki

Hello,

I have the same problem, but with a different offset. For me the difference is not 4 hours, but 1 minute. When I change a file and upload it via regular FTP, the timestamp on the server shows the same timestamp as the local file, but minus 1 minute. So a file changed 14-1-2013 11:31:30 uploaded to the server shows on the server as being changed 14-1-2013 11:30:30.

I'm currently using a +1 hour offset for this server (but this is as expected and okay). If I add 1 minute to the offset, ie. +1 hour +1 minute offset, then the same timestamp on the server reads 14-1-2013 11:32:30, which actually is 1 minute in the future compared to local file, but is 2 minutes more than it said when the offset was at 0 minutes.

So basically, with the minute offset at 0, the server timestamp is 1 minute behind local timestamp. With +1 minute offset the server timestamp is 1 minute ahead of local timestamp (and 2 minutes ahead of server timestamp without offset).

Makes synchronizing by timestamp a pain.

Using WinSCP 5.1.3 build 2881 on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bits).

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Tanuki wrote:

I have the same problem, but with a different offset. For me the difference is not 4 hours, but 1 minute. When I change a file and upload it via regular FTP, the timestamp on the server shows the same timestamp as the local file, but minus 1 minute. So a file changed 14-1-2013 11:31:30 uploaded to the server shows on the server as being changed 14-1-2013 11:30:30.
Please start a new thread and attach complete Debug 1-level session log file.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum