Ability to background download queue with D&D/Portable mode

Advertisement

Wes
Donor

Ability to background download queue with D&D/Portable mode

I use the portable version of WinSCP synced in Dropbox. I've learned I had to change my drag and drop mode as shell association doesn't work in portable mode. This is fine, but I also found you can't background tasks while downloading with this configuration. It works okay with uploading though. I really dislike modal Windows and am trying to speed up my process, so I'd love to find a solution to this.

The only thing I can come up with is switch to non-portable version and symlink the .ini settings to Dropbox, but that's a bit hacky and I have to set it up on every new PC I use. I wish I could install the proper shell association even in portable mode.

Do you have any solutions to how I might enable backgrounding using D&D / temporary download mode? Is this considered a bug, or is it by design?

Gonna stick with WinSCP either way, having encrypted passwords and a "please overwrite all" dialog was the reason I left Filezilla. And portable mode, of course.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Ability to background download queue with D&D/Portable mode

Wes wrote:

The only thing I can come up with is switch to non-portable version and symlink the .ini settings to Dropbox, but that's a bit hacky and I have to set it up on every new PC I use. I wish I could install the proper shell association even in portable mode.
Just try to "regsvr32 dragext.dll" manually. It should do.

Do you have any solutions to how I might enable backgrounding using D&D / temporary download mode? Is this considered a bug, or is it by design?
It's by design.

Wes
Donor

That did it, thanks. :)

For anybody else Googling for this topic, these were my exact steps:

1. Install the non-portable version so you can grab the .dll. In my case it was DragExt64.dll.
2. Run a command prompt as admin. Run "regsvr32 DragExt64.dll".
3. Reboot.
4. In settings, change the drag and drop setting to "Use shell extension".

There is one thing though. I notice that when I upload, it copies the file, and when I download, it moves it (deletes it from the server). Would it be possible to change that to copy by default? I know you can hold ctrl, but I'm afraid I'll forget and accidentally steal somebody's files.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Wes
Donor

Ah okay, thanks. Disabling "move" is good enough for me. A little less hacky than moving the temp folder (plus I'd rather not spin up a drive every time).

Thanks muchly, sorry for missing the FAQ.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Since 5.14, it is always possible to use drag&drop to move remote files to external applications, while copy is always the default operation.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum