Can't use file download continuing with FTP?

Advertisement

youradds

Can't use file download continuing with FTP?

Hi,

According to this page, I should be able to resume a file download with FTP, correct?

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/resume

I've got it working fine with SFTP, but for some reason it doesn't want to work for me with normal FTP.

I'm trying to download a 49gb file, and with SFTP its doing it at 500kb/s, whereas with just FTP, its going at 1.2mb/s. As you can imagine, I would much prefer to use the faster! (even though its not being encrypted)

Am I missing something, to get it working?

Thanks!

Andy

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Can't use file download continuing with FTP?

Did you abort an SFTP upload and you want to resume it with an FTP?

SFTP transfers use temporary file name (.filepart) for transfer, what FTP does not support. If you want to resume the SFTP transfer with FTP, you have to drop the .filepart extension from the partially uploaded file.

youradds

Thanks for the reply :)

So if I were to be using FTP to download - then cancel it (as I want to go to bed), and then want to restart it in the morning using FTP again... you're saying it should work? Cos it doesn't seem to :/

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

youradds wrote:

So if I were to be using FTP to download - then cancel it (as I want to go to bed), and then want to restart it in the morning using FTP again... you're saying it should work? Cos it doesn't seem to :/
Yes it should. You should get an overwrite prompt and there you click No > Resume:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_overwrite

youradds

Mmm weird - I don't :/

I'm at 91% downloaded currently, so I will let this filer finish off, and then run some tests to see how it works for me.

Are there any settings that need to be enabled to make it work?

Thanks!

Advertisement

youradds

Mmmm weird. I have that ticked, and do get a popup (see attached). But nothing mentioned in there about continuing the download (I'm doing a test 500mb file, which I cancelled part way through, and then tried to restart it)

Image.jpg

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum