Image Preview

Advertisement

Image Preview

Hi,

I've been using WINSCP for a year or so now and think its great. :D

I'm not sure if this has been requested before but I would like to request an image preview tool.
I don't mean anything supremely powerful with image editing tools or anything like that, just something along the lines of the picture viewer that's built into Windows XP that supports all of the popular image formats (.jpg .gif .png .tiff etc).

I think it would be nice to be able to double click on an image and view it rather than see it's code.
Thanks.

Advertisement

Thanks @martin,

It took a little bit of digging to figure out where the picture viewer is executed from but your suggestion worked.
Keep up the good work man, I look forward to future releases.

For anyone else who wants do this, it is not a simple as I first thought.
The Windows Picture & Fax viewer is not a standalone executable (.exe), it's run from a .dll file.
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen path-to-picture
To get WinsCP to open images using the Windows previewer enter the above path (without 'path-to-picture') as the path for the external editor (Where C:\WINDOWS is the directory of your Windows installation.) and then move it to the top of the list.
Don't forget to specify all the image file types you want it to open also, remembering that the functionality of the Windows picture viewer is slightly limited and doesn't open files such as Targas etc. Most common web graphics are supported though.

noftpanymore
Donor

Anonymous wrote:

To get WinSCP to open images using the Windows previewer enter the above path (without 'path-to-picture') as the path for the external editor (Where C:\WINDOWS is the directory of your windows installation.) and then move it to the top of the list.
Don't forget to specify all the image file types you want it to open also, remembering that the functionality of the Windows picture viewer is slightly limited and doesn't open files such as Targas etc.
Lots of reasons to use XnView instead.
https://www.xnview.com/

Advertisement

moonslice

It would be great to have a small box - maybe in the lower left of the local or remote window that will show a thumb of any image you mouse-over.

SmartFTP 2.5 has this as a standard feature.

Otherwise i love this program.

Jim

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

moonslice wrote:

It would be great to have a small box - maybe in the lower left of the local or remote window that will show a thumb of any image you mouse-over.
Sorry, I don't to plan such feature. I try to focus on file-management functionality.

For those who are looking to solve this problem, there is a radio button in the "Edit editor" that lets one choose 'Internal Editor', 'External Editor' or 'Associated application.' Selecting the third option worked beautifully – files of '.png' now open with the Windows previewer. This was for WinSCP 5.1.5 on Windows 7.

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum