Error Code 4 and Request Code 6

Advertisement

ddhayes

Error Code 4 and Request Code 6

I have a user who, just today, is receiving error codes when trying to upload a Word .htm file to her web folder on our local Web server. She was able to do this successfully just 3 days ago, but now gets this message:
General failure.
Error code: 4
Error message from server: Failure (*)
Request code: 6

I have "Googled" for information on this code but have not been able to find out exactly what could be happening that produces these error messages. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

Gandyman

Hmmz shame there is no reaction yet.
But I post this to support U.
We had the same problem today, :evil:
While we where working with the SQL data base and download it suddently everything crasht.
I could connect with the server and copy things but not be able to upload stuf.
wen I look in PHPmyadmin the whole SQL was gone ???
al data basen were gone. ??
I contact the Host to look after the server, and dont know what they have done except reset the server.
After the reset I was able to upload things.
The only thing what I could find in Cpanel was that the hardisk was almost filled up.???
After the reset I had space again.
I have ATM no reply from Host, so cannot tel U what the real thing is.
I suspect that its a HD prob. but am not sure.

sorry for my bad lang I am Dutch :oops:

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Error Code 4 and Request Code 6

ddhayes wrote:

I have "Googled" for information on this code but have not been able to find out exactly what could be happening that produces these error messages. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Error code 4 means "General failure". This is result of terrible bug reporting in OpenSSH server (do you use OpenSSH, right?). I can hardly help you, blame them. Generally the reason is "insufficient permissions".

Also important is what is the main error message (what you have posted are just additonal info to some error message). The upload may as well succeed, the error could happend during some post-upload task. Read F.A.Q.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Error Code 4 and Request Code 6

BTW, from the error message I also suspect that the user is using some very old version of WinSCP. Newer version sometime provides hints, which may help to resolve the problem.

Advertisement

ddhayes

Error Code 4

Thanks for the information. I advised the customer to get the latest version from this site and to let me know if she has further problems. I agree with your assesment - there are TOO MANY error codes that are just too cryptic to make any sense whatsoever.

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum