path to private key in command would be very useful

Advertisement

r

path to private key in command would be very useful

Hi,

Having the path to private key (e.g. like psftp does -i C:\...\blah.ppk ) in command line would be nice. Playing with INI file is a pain, especially if the users are restricted (not admins on their local system).

Advertisement

r

making the change

Now that I think of it, this is Sourceforge project, so can I make the change? If so can you point me to the right file? I have not used Sourceforge for development, but looks pretty straight forward.

I would do something like this:

WinSCP3 [<session> | -i <key path> ] [/console [/script=file]] [/ini=file]

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: path to private key in command would be very useful

r wrote:

Having the path to private key (e.g. like psftp does -i C:\...\blah.ppk ) in command line would be nice. Playing with INI file is a pain, especially if the users are restricted (not admins on their local system).
I can consider adding the option to the next version. However I do not like it much. What do you find difficult about using an INI file?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: making the change

r wrote:

Now that I think of it, this is Sourceforge project, so can I make the change? If so can you point me to the right file? I have not used Sourceforge for development, but looks pretty straight forward.

I would do something like this:

WinSCP3 [<session> | -i <key path> ] [/console [/script=file]] [/ini=file]
Thanks for your offer!
However if you are going to implement only this, it is not worth. I would spent more time giving you access to the project and explaining things than I would spend implementing it myself :-)

r

reason for path key in command line

Hi,

Most computer envirnoments are locked down these days. By this I mean that the normal user has restricted access to his/her computer. For example, where I work the normal user can not modify the registry and common directories (i.e. %System%, Program Files,...). So a admin installs software for the users. This allows the user to use Winscp, but it is impossible for an user to create a Winscp.ini file, because he/she does not have write access to where Winscp is installed. So it is impossible to generate a basic INI file that is needed for modifying what keys are used for non-interactive (batch) jobs. Also it is cleaner for developers to create two files (one to start Winscp and one for /script) rather than three (one to start Winscp and one for /script and one for the INI). Also INI files are generally used for settings that do not change per execution; they are usually only modified at installation. And I really did not want to learn about what was in the INI file just to change keys.

This change would allow easier key usage, but unfortunately the INI file would still have to modified for host keys, though interactive use would allow the keys to get into the regristry without much work.

Advertisement

r

one other reason

Also,

It is nice to have the "open" command in the /script so that the developre can quickly tell which user and host are being used.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: reason for path key in command line

WinSCP does not need installing. You can copy the EXE file anywhere you have write access and create INI file there. You can even use /ini option to create the INI file anywhere.

I understand your concern with INI files. However note that there are about 80 session options, I'm not going to add command-line switch for each of them, once there is already option to configure it using INI file.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: one other reason

r wrote:

It is nice to have the "open" command in the /script so that the developre can quickly tell which user and host are being used.
I'm not sure if I understand. If you want to show current username/host, "session" command will help you in most situations.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum