support server-client file names translation

Advertisement

GadskyPapa

support server-client file names translation

I would like WinSCP to support server-client file names translation. E.g., my unix box runs KOI8-R locale and my Windows system has CP866 file names locale. So I would like my unix box file names to be converted to CP866 on-the-fly via application settings.

Advertisement

Artem Tashkinov

The problem is that my server locale is KOI8-R. I have no idea how SFTP works but by now all file names look like a mess.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Artem Tashkinov wrote:

The problem is that my server locale is KOI8-R. I have no idea how SFTP works but by now all file names look like a mess.
Sure. But your SFTP server should translate it into Unicode. If it does not, blame your SFTP server, not WinSCP.

Artem Tashkinov

I have openssh-4.1p installed and that's the _most_ common and widely used SSH implementation in the world. Meanwhile its SFTP part contains only protocol version 3.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Artem Tashkinov wrote:

I have openssh-4.1p installed and that's the _most_ common and widely used SSH implementation in the world. Meanwhile its SFTP part contains only protocol version 3.
It is the most common, but unfortunatelly their SFTP server is one of the most backward :-(

Artem Tashkinov

Is it possible to export locale variable upon login to SSH server? If so, you could add an extra option to WinSCP like "Run these commands upon login" where we could enter:

export LANG="ru_RU.CP866" or export LANG="ru_RU.UTF-8" and enjoy "good" file names.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Artem Tashkinov wrote:

Is it possible to export locale variable upon login to SSH server? If so, you could add an extra option to WinSCP like "Run these commands upon login" where we could enter:

export LANG="ru_RU.CP866" or export LANG="ru_RU.UTF-8" and enjoy "good" file names.
It is not possible with SFTP :-(
However most SSH servers launch some kind of startup script on login. You can set the variables from there. Typically it is script associated with your default shell, because SFTP server is usually run via default shell.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum