WinSCP disapears using Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager

Advertisement

LBranco

WinSCP disapears using Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager

Microsoft have a addon to Win XP, to allow you to switch between virtual desktops.

The problem occurs when you leave WinSCP window open and then change to another virtual desktop. Switching back to the previous virtual desktop, where the WinSCP window should be, it is impossible to restore the WinSCP window, which appears in the taskbar.

If you leave the WinSCP window minimized before leaving that virtual desktop, it is possible to get the window restored.

Advertisement

TheFatherMind

Re: WinSCP disapears using Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager

I am having this exact problem also using the most current version of everything (WinSCP 4.0.4 Build 347) in Explorer Mode.

I would have expected that this would be fixed after 2 years. Am I doing something wrong?

More information...
After this odd effect has happened I can progress it a bit more by using keyboard shortcuts.. "Alt-Space" to bring up the control menu, then use the arrow keys to move it into the visible area of the screen if it is not already there. You will see the dialog as though it has been resized down beyond its normal stat to a full minimum to only show a small portion of the title bar. At this point you cannot grab the edges and resize it out, maximizing it does not work either. I would *think* (Assuming I am likely wrong) a possible work around for this would be in the code on the activate event to check the size of the dialog and if it is at this minimal point resize it larger or back (if you memorized the previous size).

The addon is a Microsoft Powertoy found on this page...
<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>
Called the Microsoft Virtual Desktop.
Here is a direct Link to the installer..
https://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/DeskmanPowertoySetup.exe
After you install it just right click on the taskbar and enable it from the toolbars menu "Desktop Manager".

This problem is Unique to WinSCP no other program I am using has this effect. If you forget to minimize WinSCP prior to switching to another desktop screen, when you switch back you have to close WinSCP and rerun it. You will never be able to get the dialog visible again otherwise. If you have files transferring there is no way to know if they are complete or not. It is a HUGE pain.

I hope all this information helps you resolve this....
Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you in advance for addressing this!
Last edited by TheFatherMind on 2019-01-23 21:17; edited 1 time in total

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

TheFatherMind wrote:

I would have expected that this would be fixed after 2 years. Am I doing something wrong?
I would like to fix it too. But no luck yet. I'll give it another try now :-)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Compatibility with MSVDM has been improved. The partial fix will be included into the next release.

Advertisement

JustThisGuy

It's still not right

I'm using the latest WinSCP 4.07 (build 370) and this is still a problem with using the Virtual Desktop Manager PowerToy for Windows XP (SP2). When I switch to another desktop and back, WinSCP is tiny and in the upper left corner of the screen and unusable. At least it stays on the screen so I can close it.

Any hope of getting this to work?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum