Too few features to bump version to 5.0?

Advertisement

Ricardo
Donor
Ricardo avatar

Too few features to bump version to 5.0?

Hi Martin,
Well, just a question out of curiosity:
What are the major changes that justify giving 5.0 the version bump?
Afaik, the only big change is it being compiled with a new IDE with support for Unicode.
Anything I missed?

If asked, I would say something very welcome for a major version would be WSCP doing multi-tasks, for example, being able to do background tasks while user is connecting to a server (opening session).

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Too few features to bump version to 5.0?

Ricardo wrote:

What are the major changes that justify giving 5.0 the version bump?
Afaik, the only big change is it being compiled with a new IDE with support for Unicode.
May not be a big change from an user perspective, but is from development perspective. Actually it took me almost two years to do that. I had to go thru every single line of WinSCP code and test every single functionality. You may have noticed that WinSCP development stalled for this period somewhat. So actually in terms of changed lines of code the 5.0 was the biggest bump ever between the two consecutive versions.

Ricardo
Donor
Ricardo avatar

martin wrote:

Actually it took me almost two years to do that. I had to go thru every single line of WinSCP code and test every single functionality.
Wow!
Well, then it deserves the bump! Sorry for my doubt.

Anyway, I think you should have written the program using some kind of modular model that don't demand you to retest everything when that kind of change is necessary... Also, Microsoft is now introducing in Windows 8 another API (WinRT) else than Win32... Some say the 'RT' may replace '32'. Maybe it'll be better to start thinking on a new structure of WSCP for the future?

Sorry if I'm wrong, because I'm not a programmer.

My sincere thanks for your hard (alone?) work, Martin!

P.S.>

Ricardo wrote:

If asked, I would say something very welcome for a major version would be WSCP doing multi-tasks, for example, being able to do background tasks while user is connecting to a server (opening session).
How hard would that be?
Would it require another big rewrite in order to use threads more efficiently?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ricardo wrote:

Also, Microsoft is now introducing in Windows 8 another API (WinRT) else than Win32... Some say the 'RT' may replace '32'. Maybe it'll be better to start thinking on a new structure of WSCP for the future?
I'm aware of that. Will try to get ready for it :)

Ricardo wrote:

How hard would that be?
Would it require another big rewrite in order to use threads more efficiently?
It's long term plan.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum