Topic "Beta 5.0.5 built-in editor UTF"

Prokes

Hello,

Is it possible the built-in editor to fully support UTF encoding? We have a problem to display Chinese and Japanese characters properly. When we try to enter/edit some text, only question marks are displayed.

Thanks!
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
What UTF? UTF8, UTF16, UTF32? Does your file have BOM? Can you attach an example file you are having problem with? Does the problem appear, when you create a new file, File(s) > New > File?

This regards UTF-8 files properly created/saved in Eclipse or any other editor except WinSCP internal one.
winscp-utf-problem-2.png (8.46 KB)

Description: The source file in WinSCP editor. Chaotic encoding.

winscp-utf-problem-2.png

winscp-utf-problem-1.png (7.52 KB)

Description: Eclipse UTF-8 source file (text is traditional Chinese)

winscp-utf-problem-1.png

winscp-utf-problem-3.png (9.9 KB) [Download]

Description: File displayed in Firefox

martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Thanks. But can you attach the file as text, so I can try it for myself? The best is, if you ZIP it first, so it does not get altered while posting.

Prokes wrote:
This regards UTF-8 files properly created/saved in Eclipse or any other editor except WinSCP internal one.

I have the exact same problem. Accented characters do not display properly in the internal editor. When I see the same files in any other editor, or even in nano through Putty, the characters show correctly.

I am using UTF-8 throughout the chain, from the remote application to the managed server.
Prokes

prikryl wrote:
Thanks. But can you attach the file as text, so I can try it for myself? The best is, if you ZIP it first, so it does not get altered while posting.

Here we go with the test file.
winscp.zip (965 Bytes) [Download]

Description: UTF-8 Chinese example file

martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Prokes wrote:
Here we go with the test file.

The file does not have a BOM. WinSCP currently defaults to Ansi encoding. I'll change this.
Tracked here:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=78
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License