Topic "Site Manager/Session Manager"

Author Message
yereverluvinunclebert
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-05-10
Posts: 38
Location: Brighton - The Beautiful South
Two suggestions:

1. There should be a separate menu option to start up the session manager and it should not be accessible by default via the menu option "session - new session". This method is counter-intuitive, sometimes you want to simply view existing sessions or edit existing sessions not create new sessions.

2. I prefer the term "site manager" rather than "session manager" as a session implies a currently running session, that term should be reserved for current sessions. The site manager list contains the sites that you could connect to in order to create a session.

Regardless of the name, the menu option "session manager" or "site manager" should appear in place of "session" and clicking on it should start the session manager, the sub-menu options could remain.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24530
Location: Prague, Czechia
yereverluvinunclebert wrote:
1. There should be a separate menu option to start up the session manager and it should not be accessible by default via the menu option "session - new session". This method is counter-intuitive, sometimes you want to simply view existing sessions or edit existing sessions not create new sessions.

This request has been added to the tracker:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=855

Quote:
2. I prefer the term "site manager" rather than "session manager" as a session implies a currently running session, that term should be reserved for current sessions. The site manager list contains the sites that you could connect to in order to create a session.

I agree that the current naming is not ideal. Will think about it.

Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming! Smile
yereverluvinunclebert
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-05-10
Posts: 38
Location: Brighton - The Beautiful South
Simply renaming New Session to Session manager would be more logical. When I want to edit a 'session'. I simply press New Session and pops the session manager, from there I can do what I want, edit, new, delete.

It is more logical to have a session manager with one press and then do what you want there.

There should be a much stronger distinction between sessions and sites. I often want to edit site details (passwords &c) without creating any form of session, so in this case 'session' is a nisnomer. It should be a site manager.

Eg. you might have a 'session' for domain.com which you might want to delete, if you go tot he session manager and try to delete the 'session' then in fact you are deleting the site details not the currently running session. It is confusing to the uninitiated. Sessions can be cancelled, disconnected where as sites should definitely not be deleted.

Sorry to harp on about this one but the session manager is the one thing that annoys me the most about WinSCP, everything else in WinSCP is rather good.

I think WSFTP nailed this one with their site manager, logical, easy to use, functions and named correctly. You would do little wrong if you analysed the way they do it and then replicated it.
x filezilla user

Guest


Please change session-->"new session" to session-->"manage sessions" soon..?

As an experienced filezilla user I could not find where to setup my sessions -- ended up here after a google.

plz?
Guest




"Site Manager" is my preference. It is where I manage the connection details to my sites.

When a site is opened it may become a 'session' but not until.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24530
Location: Prague, Czechia
x filezilla user wrote:
Please change session-->"new session" to session-->"manage sessions" soon..?

As an experienced filezilla user I could not find where to setup my sessions -- ended up here after a google.

There's Session > Sites > Site Manager since WinSCP 5.2 (see the link to the tracker above). The command is actually identical to Session > New Session. It's there for people who look for "site manager", just like you.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License