Topic "Pause/Resume File Transfer"

Author Message
AvidApprentice
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-06-06
Posts: 1
Perhaps I am overlooking it but I cannot seem to find anything regarding pausing/resuming of file transfers. Does the .NET assembly currently have the ability to do this? If not is it on the road map?

Thanks
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24553
Location: Prague, Czechia
No, it is not possible.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
t0r3x
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-03-24
Posts: 12
Location: Netherlands
How would you cancel a transfer you are doing with WinSCP.Session.GetFiles then? Simply a dispose (does not seem to work when I checked real quick)?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24553
Location: Prague, Czechia
t0r3x wrote:
How would you cancel a transfer you are doing with WinSCP.Session.GetFiles then? Simply a dispose (does not seem to work when I checked real quick)?

Well, again, it is not possible.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
t0r3x
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-03-24
Posts: 12
Location: Netherlands
Thats to bad, is there maybe some kind of workaround for at least an abort/cancel? It is absolutely critical that I can somehow terminate a download over the SCP protocol or else my entire implementation becomes useless and my solution will sadly fall apart.

I would guess disposing the session also terminates the WinSCP.exe on the background, but when I try to do that everything just hangs, probably because the connection stays in an open state. I have also been looking at doing things manually with the ExecuteCommand method, using the scp command, but couldnt get things going with the identity file yet (Windows/Unix paths). I dont know if it will even make a difference eventually, because it will basicly be the same command I have to send that terminates the download thread.

Like I said, a big part of my program is depending on the WinSCP .NET assembly. The program I am developing uploads files via RSync and downloads via WinSCP, for storing backups on a NAS box. The RSync wrapper has not been a problem, but all now seems to come down to cancelling the download thread and disposing the session via WinSCP. I cannot have a very big file not being able to abort with a download of lets say 200 kb/s, it would kill the usability of my application. So please, if you would know anything at all that could maybe help me achieving an abort/cancel it would be greatly appreciated and would help me tremendously. Thanks a million in advance.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24553
Location: Prague, Czechia
Disposing should help.
Please set Session.DebugLogPath, try and attach the log.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
t0r3x
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-03-24
Posts: 12
Location: Netherlands
prikryl wrote:
Disposing should help.
Please set Session.DebugLogPath, try and attach the log.


The order of events in my program is as follows. I start up a thread in the ThreadPool with session.GetFiles in it, then the thread keeps working until done downloading. When I want to cancel downloading, I do a session.Dispose on the same session object, but then it still keeps working until done with downloading. After that it does dispose, but only when done downloading. I dont quite know how to tackle this situation currently, so any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated. To be sure I attached the log as you asked. Thanks.
debug.log (490.26 KB) [Download]

Description: debug log winscp .net assembly

t0r3x
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2012-03-24
Posts: 12
Location: Netherlands
t0r3x wrote:
prikryl wrote:
Disposing should help.
Please set Session.DebugLogPath, try and attach the log.


The order of events in my program is as follows. I start up a thread in the ThreadPool with session.GetFiles in it, then the thread keeps working until done downloading. When I want to cancel downloading, I do a session.Dispose on the same session object, but then it still keeps working until done with downloading. After that it does dispose, but only when done downloading. I dont quite know how to tackle this situation currently, so any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated. To be sure I attached the log as you asked. Thanks.


The more I seem to try, the more Im starting to think its a limitation in the library. Like I said earlier, when I dispose it disposes but only after having finished with GetFiles. GetFiles therefore seems uninterruptable when being executed until finished. Do you have any more information about this yet? Thanks.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24553
Location: Prague, Czechia
This issue has been added to the tracker:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=890

I'll contact you via email.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License