Topic "Synchronization: Reconnect and continue during file compare."

jojoha
[View user's profile]

Synchronization has two phases.
First it compares local and remote directories to find differences.
Then it transferes files that are different.

Sometimes during synchronization the server disconnects.
If the synchronization has reached the transfer file phase then it reconnects and continues transfering files where is stopped.
On the other hand if synchronization is still comparing local and remote directories then it does not continue.

If a disconnect happens during the compare phase, I would like winscp to reconnect and continue to compare directories where it left off.
Parameters to use for the compare reconnect could just be the same as exist already for file transfer reconnect.

Thanks
JH
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Thanks for your post.

This request is being tracked already:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=25

Re: Synchronization: Reconnect and continue during file compare

Thanks for your reply.

Such are the wonders of the Internet. You search for hours to find a solution or if someone has had the same problem, and you still do not find anything!

After reading the tracking tickets I can see this is a 4 year old subject that has not been addressed yet.

My situation in more detail is this:

I am using a script to synchronize a website over FTPS (exsplicit TLS). Because of some unknown reason the servere disconnects in less than 5 minutes (usually between 2 and 3). If the directory listing takes more time than this, the script stoppes. If it reaches the file transfer phase, it synchronizes but with repeated disconnects and reconnects. As I have many files, the synchronization never reaches the file transfer phase, except for the first time, when there was nothing on the other end.

I then tried using plain FTP (no encryption) and then the server did not disconnect and everything ran as exspected. But this is not an acceptable solution. Need encryption.

I have tried the FTPS transfer agains servers in both USA and Germany and both disconnect.
I have also tried FTPS with Filezilla and it also disconnects regularly. I had to split my large manual transfer into smaller batches.

It might be an error / misconfiguration in my firewall, but this will be hard to track.

Anyhow it would be great to have the reconnect option during directory compare.

Thanks for a great program,
JH
jojoha
[View user's profile]

For anyone than might find this thread.

Found a solution to the disconnect problem.
The Windows 7 firewall is messing with the FTPS traffic.

Run
Code:
netsh advfirewall set global StatefulFTP disable

as an administrator and all disconnect problems are gone.
This only disables some parameters for FTP, not the complete firewall (although that is an option too).

See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd421710
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6990663/java-7-prevents-ftp-transfers-on-windows-vista-and-7-if-firewall-is-on-any-idea
for further information.

Although the disconnect problem is solved, I still would like to have a reconnect during the compare directory phase.

Thanks,
JH
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Thanks for sharing your solution!

Just to chime in and thank the original poster.

Had same issues with disconnects every 2-3min.
Fixed using the suggested command, cheers !
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
What specific error message were you getting? So that I can document this.
Site Admin
Refer to documentation for details on disabling stateful FTP filtering to overcome the FTP disconnects:
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/message_disconnected
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License