Downloads Go Beyond EOF

Advertisement

Martin Crundall

Downloads Go Beyond EOF

Hi Martin;

Noticed an oddity after I upgraded openssh/openssl on my slackware8.1 server to deal with recent CERT advisories: downloads, when specifying "auto" (as opposed to binary) would continue on past EOF on the file being downloaded. The progress display would actually show values over 100%! However, when I specified BINARY, this problem does not occur. Uploads occur normally (no problems) when using "auto." It did not matter if I was using SFTP or SCP.

I am using WinSCP version 356, but also noticed it on 330. I reviewed quite a chunk of the Support forum but could find no reference to this problem, so I thought I would put a post here to say what I had found. My educated guess is that somehow I didn't do the openSSH/openSSL update properly. I had originally NOT installed slackware's package but had compiled them on the server myself. Then I converted to using slackware's packages. The original decision to not use their package was probably a bad one.

Anyway, this is a GREAT program -- thank you.

Kind Regards,

Martin Crundall

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Downloads Go Beyond EOF

I do not think that it may be problem of the server, so do not worry :-)

What I do not understand is, if the downloaded file has correct size and content and only the progress dialog displayes incorrect information or if the file is damaged as well. Please let me know.

Hi Martin;

The file progress "bar" looks like it is reacting normally -- it progresses across the dialog box properly, and then when it hits the 100% point, it stays at 100%, but the % indicator in the dialog box title area continues to count over 100%. I examined a text file that had gone through this process and noticed that the last block of the file repeats over and over again.

The "total" progress bar does not react normally, it never even starts going across the dialog box.

As originally stated, when I switch to BINARY, none of this strangeness occurs.

Just so you know, when I use standard "scp" from the command line from one of my local linux boxes to the server in question, the exact same thing happens -- it does not just happen with WinSCP. That is why I think there is a problem with my remote server.

Hope this helps you understand the oddity a little better. I'm certain there is nothing wrong with WinSCP in this regard; I just wanted to post this just in case someone else experiences the same thing.

Martin

martin wrote:

I do not think that it may be problem of the server, so do not worry :-)

What I do not understand is, if the downloaded file has correct size and content and only the progress dialog displayes incorrect information or if the file is damaged as well. Please let me know.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Hope this helps you understand the oddity a little better. I'm certain there is nothing wrong with WinSCP in this regard; I just wanted to post this just in case someone else experiences the same thing.
I have never experienced this before. If you solve this, please let us know.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum