Start window opens a fake session window

Advertisement

langi

Since I installed Windows 11, when I click on the WinSCP start window, a window opens at the same time with the local directory of the last session and as the directory of the remote site the local folder "Documents".
Why is this and what can I do about it?
Thanks for any tips.
Regards
langi
Last edited by langi on 2023-11-04 14:05; edited 1 time in total

Advertisement

langi

Dailog Box

No, I have not deactivated the dialog box. When I open the start window, a dialog box also starts in the background, but this makes no sense. If I click on the desired dialog box in the start box, it opens correctly.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Dailog Box

Can you please explain what you mean by "start window" or "desired dialog box in the start box". Maybe few screenshot might explain this better.

langi

funny window

Thank you for asking. The wording really is a bit confusing. The attached PrtSc shows the situation. At the same time as opening the start box, the window opens in the background, which makes no sense.

Description: PrtSc

WinSCP.jpg

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Windows

This has nothing to do with Windows 11. WinSCP behaves like this since 5.8 (2015).
And since 6.0, WinSCP is two-panel local file manager, in addition to being a file transfer client. So it's not like the "right" panel is "target directory".

langi

Window

I have been working with WinSCP for a very long time and am very satisfied. The behavior was never as described. Only since I switched to a new PC with Windows 11. But whatever – I can live with it.

Advertisement

D

I never ever use WinSCP as a local file manager and before v6 never saw this behavior.
And I have always had "Show login dialog on startup and when the last session is closed" disabled. Previously when opening WinSCP I just got a single "New Tab" now I have this second local stuff.
So how do we stop this local two pane window from being opened?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Start window opens a fake session window

@D: Sorry, I do not understand, what is the problem. By "disabled", do you mean "unchecked"? So WinSCP does not open the Login dialog automatically (and you want it that way). Is that correct? And you click "New Tab" ("New Session" in older versions) to open a new session. Correct? And what is different now (in 6.x)? Except that until you click the "New Tab", the right panel shows a local directory, while in 5.x it was gray?

D

@martin,
By "disabled", do you mean "unchecked"? So WinSCP does not open the Login dialog automatically (and you want it that way). Is that correct?
Correct, this is the way I want it.

And you click "New Tab" ("New Session" in older versions) to open a new session. Correct?
Correct

And what is different now (in 6.x)?
There is a whole 'dummy' session that has local directories only, previously there was only the New Tab. See attached

Description: Backup-Document tab is the dummy session that opens whenever I have no 'real' session open.

DummySession.png

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

D wrote:

There is a whole 'dummy' session that has local directories only, previously there was only the New Tab. See attached
But what is the problem? If you do not use the local tab, close it.

D

The change of behaviour from previous versions that creates the "Dummy" session. Prior to this change WinSCP always opened without an session. Even If I do close the "Dummy" session at startup it comes back as soon as I close all other sessions. The previous behaviour with no tabs open except when I explicitly open a connection is more desirable rather that automagically opening tabs which I have no control over.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I'm sorry, but you just wrote that you like WinSCP to behave some way, without really explaining what problem does the current behaviour causes you.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum