INI by default

Advertisement

INI by default

Hello

I didn't find a thread with this subject, so sorry if it's been discussed before, but...

I think it would nice to have the WinSCP executable create an INI file on first run as a default, instead of writing to the registry first and then having the user go in to change the preference to write to a local INI. (Unless the executable doesn't write to the registry on first run prior to logon? Not sure~) Great product, though, I've been showing it to various people for a while. :)

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: INI by default

I'm trying to adhere to Windows standards as much as possible. And registry is the Windows standard to store configuration.

Biju

Re: INI by default

martin wrote:

I'm trying to adhere to Windows standards as much as possible. And registry is the Windows standard to store configuration.
using registry make coding simpler, but because of this, registry is getting bigger and bigger every day. And that increases to time to bootup pc, switch WinXP user etc. And makes every things slow if you have low memory.
It also make it difficult to migrate a usersettings for one pc to other, taking backups etc.

You can do almost every thing using files (or subdir/files) in "All Users" profile and current users "Application Data" dir.

Use of registry can be limited to store things like Application Install dir for upgrade. And unavoidable entries like file/protocol association, ActiveX control registration etc.

I dont know why open source developers not getting this message. Going after MS recommended registry only reduces the freedom users have with out it.

You can get "Application Data" or "All Users" dir by

using register entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData

using %APPDATA% and %ALLUSERSPROFILE% env var

or using SHGetSpecialFolderLocation API

Werdhi

I'm too much a novice to get into the ".ini" by default versus Windows registry debate, but I am wondering about it.

I have downloaded WinSCP and begun using it. Very impressive :P ... I downloaded the stand-alone program rather than the installer. I prefer NOT to have installers run (I like to keep track of what I'm putting on my computer AND I wasn't sure I needed all the Putty stuff as it appears I can connect with SFTP without Putty).

:?: If I have run the program and used it to connect BEFORE switching the preference to save all settings to an .ini file in the folder on my PC where the .exe file is located, then what becomes of the settings that have been stored in my registry? Do I now have clutter there that is unnecessary as I have chosen the .ini file for my WinSCP settings? I'd like to keep the registry free of any unnecessary entries.

Thank you for your kind attention and hard work.
56k Dial-up

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Werdhi wrote:

:?: If I have run the program and used it to connect BEFORE switching the preference to save all settings to an .ini file in the folder on my PC where the .exe file is located, then what becomes of the settings that have been stored in my registry? Do I now have clutter there that is unnecessary as I have chosen the .ini file for my WinSCP settings? I'd like to keep the registry free of any unnecessary entries.
When you swhich to .INI file, the registry settings remains. To clean them, go to "Stored sessions" tab of login dialog, press "Tools" button and select "Clean up".

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum