Topic "D: not accessible ..."

Nick2

Hi, im having a problem. When i connect to my remote host it gets to "Reading remote directory" and then quits with the error "Directory D: not available" or something.

Anyone have any ideas ... I'm not trying to use D: at all.

Nick
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Nick2 wrote:
Hi, im having a problem. When i connect to my remote host it gets to "Reading remote directory" and then quits with the error "Directory D: not available" or something.

It is known problem, unfortunatelly I'm still not able to find a cause for it. Do you have D: drive at all. If you do, what it is (HDD, CD)? Do you have C: drive?

I have the same problem. XP Pro SP-1, I have A:, D:, and H: drives. A is floppy, D is CD-RW, H is system. If I insert a CD, the application runs normally and defaults to displaying the contents of D.

prikryl wrote:
Nick2 wrote:

It is known problem, unfortunatelly I'm still not able to find a cause for it. Do you have D: drive at all. If you do, what it is (HDD, CD)? Do you have C: drive?

I fixed it by disabling daemon tools(virtual cd-rom drive).
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
David wrote:
I have the same problem. XP Pro SP-1, I have A:, D:, and H: drives. A is floppy, D is CD-RW, H is system. If I insert a CD, the application runs normally and defaults to displaying the contents of D.

How did you managed not to have C: drive? I want to simulate this kind of configuration to fix the bug, but I do not know how.

prikryl wrote:
David wrote:

How did you managed not to have C: drive? I want to simulate this kind of configuration to fix the bug, but I do not know how.

Well, I was setting up a new machine for testing. First I installed QNX, then Sun Java Desktop System, then XP. XP automatically created/chose H:, probably becasue of all the partitions. You can probably change your drive letter by going into Computer Management/Disk Management. This may not have the same effect. Make sure you backup your system first.

I also found another workaround yesteday. I was unable to install Symanted AV on my XP partition. One of their articles recommened using the SUBST command.

I opened a command window and typed this in "subst c: h:/", and that fixed my Symantec and WinSCP problem.

David
Robert

Got same problem.
(But with my G: (DVD drive/burner)

Just place a CD (or DVD) in the D: and it will work.
I cant get rid of it though. After sending files directly from D: it started.

I too have no C: because of security aspects.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
David wrote:
Well, I was setting up a new machine for testing. First I installed QNX, then Sun Java Desktop System, then XP. XP automatically created/chose H:, probably becasue of all the partitions. You can probably change your drive letter by going into Computer Management/Disk Management. This may not have the same effect. Make sure you backup your system first.

You cannot change drive letter of system and boot drives. While I may install another copy of Windows on D: (to make it system drive), C: still remains boot drive. So I do not know how to simulate your configuration.

prikryl wrote:
David wrote:

You cannot change drive letter of system and boot drives. While I may install another copy of Windows on D: (to make it system drive), C: still remains boot drive. So I do not know how to simulate your configuration.

Swap ide ports your drives are connected to. Windows will sometimes assign new drive letters in this situation.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
lgriff wrote:
Swap ide ports your drives are connected to. Windows will sometimes assign new drive letters in this situation.

I cannot make modification in my PC due to warranty. And even if I do I doubt that Windows would run if drive letter of the system drive changes. What I can do is to install new copy of Windows. But I do not know how to force it not to use C: drive.

On Win2000/XP you can change the assigned drive letters this way:

1) Right-Click "My Computer"
2) Select "Manage"
3) Go to Storage > Disk Management
4) Right-Click a drive on the list
5) Select "change drive letter..."

I've played a lot with this to properly sort my hard drives and CD-ROMs. I have never tried it on a boot drive though.

Regards
Chriz
chriz at zap dot cl
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License