Topic "Suggestion for remote site editing : reconnect if needed"

[View user's profile]

I was making tests with winSCP, and I noticed something that, if adresssed, would improve the user experience.
This is not a bug report, just a suggestion to improve the program Smile

Here's what I did :
- click "Edit" for a remote text file, I had winSCP associate them with notepad++
- save updates in the text file, observe they're immmediately uploaded to the remote server
- now, disconnect from the remote server
- try saving the text file again in notepad++ : impossible, WinSCP says me that can't be done, the session has been closed
- reconnect manually WinSCP to the remote server, try saving the file again in N++ : same deal, can't be done, session was closed.

And here's what I would suggest :
- that winSCP automatically reconnects itself to the remote server when the need arises, to upload a new copy of the updated text file
- that if we reconnect winSCP manually, it accepts again to update the text file from the still open text editor session

I know that can be done, I've seen programs like filezilla do that. However, I apologize, I have no idea how specific that can be, if this is too much too ask maybe.

Well, that was it for my suggestion Smile
Once again, thanks for the great software ! Smile
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Thanks for your suggestion.

This request has been added to the tracker:
Martin Prikryl

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License