Topic "Directory comparison settings are not being saved"

Author Message
theplague
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2014-01-20
Posts: 6
Fresh install on a Windows 8.1 PC, tried running as Administrator but didn't work, I switched the storage to INI and edited the settings manually:

Code:
CompareByTime=0
CompareBySize=1


Ps: WinSCP does not have user rights to write on it's installation folder or at least the INI file that it creates so I had to manually assign the permission.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
Did you check Use same options next time on Synchronize dialog?

Regarding permissions to INI file: If you were running WinSCP as Administrator when switching to INI file, WinSCP created the INI file in the same directory where winscp.exe is, because it had write access there. Obviously after you switched back to normal user, it did not have write access anymore. Had you switched to INI file while running without Administrator privileges, it would have never tried to create INI file in an installation folder. It would use user profile folder instead.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
theplague
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2014-01-20
Posts: 6
prikryl wrote:
Did you check Use same options next time on Synchronize dialog?


I changed the option under the general options dialog, not under the Synchronize dialog, in fact I tried changing it even before connecting to the ftp site but it just wouldn't save. As of the option under the Synchronize dialog it does save correctly when that check box is marked, I didn't have any trouble with that.

prikryl wrote:
Regarding permissions to INI file: If you were running WinSCP as Administrator when switching to INI file, WinSCP created the INI file in the same directory where winscp.exe is, because it had write access there. Obviously after you switched back to normal user, it did not have write access anymore. Had you switched to INI file while running without Administrator privileges, it would have never tried to create INI file in an installation folder. It would use user profile folder instead.


Not quite right, I was running always without admin privileges and when I tried to switch the storage to INI the program said it couldn't write to the folder and that's when I restarted with admin rights so it could create the file and accept the changes, after that of course I had to give regular user rights on the INI file so I wouldn't need to run as admin all the time.

Thanks.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
theplague wrote:
I changed the option under the general options dialog, not under the Synchronize dialog, in fact I tried changing it even before connecting to the ftp site but it just wouldn't save. As of the option under the Synchronize dialog it does save correctly when that check box is marked, I didn't have any trouble with that.

Ok, I understand now.
Added to tracker:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=1110

Quote:
Not quite right, I was running always without admin privileges and when I tried to switch the storage to INI the program said it couldn't write to the folder and that's when I restarted with admin rights so it could create the file and accept the changes, after that of course I had to give regular user rights on the INI file so I wouldn't need to run as admin all the time.

What version of WinSCP are you using?
theplague
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2014-01-20
Posts: 6
prikryl wrote:
theplague wrote:
I changed the option under the general options dialog, not under the Synchronize dialog, in fact I tried changing it even before connecting to the ftp site but it just wouldn't save. As of the option under the Synchronize dialog it does save correctly when that check box is marked, I didn't have any trouble with that.

Ok, I understand now.
Added to tracker:
http://winscp.net/tracker/show_bug.cgi?id=1110

Quote:
Not quite right, I was running always without admin privileges and when I tried to switch the storage to INI the program said it couldn't write to the folder and that's when I restarted with admin rights so it could create the file and accept the changes, after that of course I had to give regular user rights on the INI file so I wouldn't need to run as admin all the time.

What version of WinSCP are you using?


5.5.0

Thank you.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
When you are running WinSCP 5.5 in registry mode as non-admin user, what INI file path do you see on Storage page of Preferences dialog?
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_storage
_________________
Martin Prikryl
theplague
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2014-01-20
Posts: 6
prikryl wrote:
When you are running WinSCP 5.5 in registry mode as non-admin user, what INI file path do you see on Storage page of Preferences dialog?
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_storage


I opened it up normally, switched the storage to Registry, closed it, opened again normally and the path still said:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.ini


I just want to point out that it works now after the tweaks I did however when I first installed it wouldn't save, I appreciate your effort on getting this sorted out.
Thank you
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
theplague wrote:
I opened it up normally, switched the storage to Registry, closed it, opened again normally and the path still said:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.ini

I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.
theplague
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2014-01-20
Posts: 6
prikryl wrote:
theplague wrote:
I opened it up normally, switched the storage to Registry, closed it, opened again normally and the path still said:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP\WinSCP.ini

I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.


Hi prikryl, I tested the debug build and it fixes the problem, changing the comparison settings now get saved when I OK the dialog.
Thanks
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
theplague wrote:
Hi prikryl, I tested the debug build and it fixes the problem, changing the comparison settings now get saved when I OK the dialog.
Thanks

But I'm interested in the INI file path problem. Please send me the logs.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License