Topic "Find"

I administer several boxes and love WinSCP. The only problem is that sometimes I don't remember where I left a file, or someone wants a file, I have to view each and every dir and subdir where I think it might be. As you can guess, this is a major headache. Any chance the "Find" option could be added to WinSCP to make it nearly perfect?

Thanks.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
There are two aproaches for implement find:
  • Read all directories/subdirectories using LS and find file in result (client-driven search). This is reliable, but slow.
  • Use some command on server that finds files. This should be fast. Problem is that there are many incompatibilities between different servers/shells. I have problem adding any new command, because I don't have enough experiences with different hosts and I don't have access to enough diferent servers to test it.
    So my question is: Can someone recommend me a best command to find file, that would work reliably on any UNIX server/shell Question

prikryl wrote:
So my question is: [b]Can someone recommend me a best command to find file, that would work reliably on any UNIX server/shell Question

I'm no expert, but 'locate' works well on certain linux machines. I doubt it is well supported across _all_ platforms but couldn't you create an alias for a user's 'find' command. Then for us linux users we could set the alias to 'locate'.
adbon

[quote="Anonymous"]
prikryl wrote:
So my question is: [b]Can someone recommend me a best command to find file, that would work reliably on any UNIX server/shell :?:

> I'm no expert, but 'locate'
> works...

I notice that "locate" is often
not set up correctly. I use systems other than linux, too.

the Unix "find" command has worked reliably for
a very long time. I suggest poping a dialog box: find: [ ] then taking the string
and doing "find . -name '[the string]' -print" where "." means
the current directory, and putting the results in a selection list.
give the option to chdir to the
directory above a file, as well
as to move/copy drag/drop the file.

Thanks, by the way, WinSCP is a wonderful help
in making my users be able to function with remote machines.

Adbon
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License