Error watching for changes

Advertisement

Matthew Martin

Error watching for changes

I have just installed the latest versions of Putty (Release 0.55) and WinSCP (Version 3.6.7 Build 241) on a system running MS Windows XP SP1. When I connect to a remote system and double-click a html file to open it locally in MSIE v6, the file opens correctly but WinSCP immediately pops open a error message "Error watching for changes". The error message stays open even if I close the MSIE window, and even after I hit "Okay" dozens of times. I have to kill WinSCP using Task Manager. This does not happen if I right-click and choose to edit the file using the internal editor.

The remote systems are running Solaris 8. I haven't tested against other systems or file types, but I can do that if it helps troubleshooting. I did not have this problem with the older versions of WinSCP and Putty that I was using before today. The problem occurs whether I change the session to use SFTP or SCP. The lines of the log from double-clicking the file to the end are below.

Any idea of the cause and how to fix?

Thank you very much for creating this great software and releasing it under the an open license.

Respectfully,
Matthew

+++++++++++++ Log +++++++++++++++++++++++
. Copying "/export/home/mgmart6/dyncorp_logs_Aug/exported/63.150.101.226/20040801.html" to local directory started.
. Ascii transfer mode selected.
. Opening remote file.
> Type: SSH_FXP_OPEN, Size: 92, Number: 15107
< Type: SSH_FXP_HANDLE, Size: 13, Number: 15107
> Type: SSH_FXP_READ, Size: 25, Number: 15365
< Status/error code: 1
. 33 skipped SSH_FXP_WRITE, SSH_FXP_READ, SSH_FXP_DATA and SSH_FXP_STATUS packets.
> Type: SSH_FXP_CLOSE, Size: 13, Number: 19716
< Type: SSH_FXP_STATUS, Size: 24, Number: 19716
< Status/error code: 0

Advertisement

purephase

Re: Error watching for changes

Matthew Martin wrote:

When I connect to a remote system and double-click a html file to open it locally in MSIE v6, the file opens correctly but WinSCP immediately pops open a error message "Error watching for changes".
I've had this happen as well. I believe it has something to do with the file associations within Windows, and the recent changes allowing multiple file modifications and how WinSCP monitors these changes.

It does not seem to happen all the time for me, and unfortunatly I don't have a specific example (I normally just killed the app, then re-started working). The next time it happens I'll keep more information.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Error watching for changes

I have checked this and it probably happens only when IE was already started before clicking HTML file. I'll try to fix this in the next release.

Maly

At first sorry form my English.

A i have similar bug.

I open doc files. When i have open word and i click double on WinSCP then a i have this message !

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Maly wrote:

I open doc files. When i have open word and i click double on WinSCP then a i have this message !
That's the same problem. You have probably Word started before clicking on *.doc file in WinSCP. I have not found any way fow to solve the problem. So only thing that will be fixed in the next release is that the error message will appear only once :-)

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Oclair wrote:

I am also getting this error for .inc.php files.
Very useful information :-(
Can you tell me the application you open the files with?

lcriv

Microsoft Access has the same problem

martin wrote:

Oclair wrote:

I am also getting this error for .inc.php files.
Very useful information :-(
Can you tell me the application you open the files with?

I am still unclear as to why this error occurs. Anyways, I am running Win SCP to log into a File server that houses an access file that I like to add records to occassionally. The server is a Linux box running Mandrake 9.0. The error doesn't occur when I don't already have an instance of the program running.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum