Topic "Partial or corrupted uploads detected?"

Vacilando
[View user's profile]

What happens when WinSCP uploads a file but for some weird reason the file did not upload completely or correctly on the server. Will WinSCP detect that? In other words, is there a backward check that all files that have been uploaded are correctly uploaded? Or do you think this will never happen - if so, why?
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Depends on reasons of failure and transfer protocol:
  • Dropped connection: The partially uploaded files remains in the target directory. With SFTP protocol, you can resume the transfer later.
  • Data are incorrectly transmitted: I believe that with SSH protocol this would by 99% cause confusion in the encryption and the connection closure by one side.
  • Data are incorrectly stored on the remote file system (but it was not detected by the server, i.e. strange HDD failure, i.e. not probable): This will not be detected. Only way to check this is to download the file back (nonsense) or use some hashing algorithm. As mentioned already today: Hashing is supported only by SFTP protocol and only as optional extension since version 5. And there is no SFTP server I'm aware of supporting protocol version 5.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License