Topic "Error skipping startup message."

Dork

I get this error:
Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (Bash is recommended).

Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 0.

I then noticed my user was an FTP user and did not have shell access. This took me a while to figure out and I am reporting this here for users in the future. I may still have issues because I have to wait until shell access is granted before I can test this again.
Advertisements

Dork wrote:
I get this error:
Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (Bash is recommended).

Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 0.

I then noticed my user was an FTP user and did not have shell access. This took me a while to figure out and I am reporting this here for users in the future. I may still have issues because I have to wait until shell access is granted before I can test this again.

My problem was that the user password on linux machine expired (I have it set up to expire on 90 days) and the shell didn't start.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
See documentation for details about "Error skipping startup message" error.

prikryl this answer doesnt help at all since there simply IS NO ERROR IN THE LOGs.
you could as well write "I dont have a clue about this error, it just happens randomly on some machines and I'm too freakin lazy to fix it, or even find out the true reason."

thanks......
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
I dont have a clue about this error, it just happens randomly on some machines and I'm too freakin lazy to fix it, or even find out the true reason.

prikryl wrote:
I dont have a clue about this error, it just happens randomly on some machines and I'm too freakin lazy to fix it, or even find out the true reason.

Good Job! You did the right thing.
Guest3

For:
Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended).

I found that our problem was the user was using SCP and sudo, and that sshd required a TTY in order to perform this action.
eddo

in recived this error when I used:
open scp://user@server -privatekey=C:\myprivatekey.pkk
I resolved in this way
open sftp://user@server -privatekey=C:\myprivatekey.pkk
Jack.H

Quote:
For:
Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended).

I found that our problem was the user was using SCP and sudo, and that sshd required a TTY in order to perform this action.

Thank you! That's exactly the problem I had on Google cloud instance... just need to specify !requiretty in /etc/sudoders
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Jack.H wrote:
just need to specify !requiretty in /etc/sudoders

This is documented here:
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/faq_su

you probably in the clish mode thats why its not letting you download in the bash.
login in to the GW under user management > users > unlock the screen from above
for example if you use admin account double click the admin there you can change the shell to /bin/bash

Now goto your winscp and download...!!

There we go..!!
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License