Topic "Using programs remotely via WinSCP"

bravozullu
[View user's profile]

Hello,

I am new to WinSCP. I am using it to connect to my network at school. I can do this; I see all of my files, directories, and everybody else's files/directories.

Now, when I try to launch a program in the terminal window [for instance, I try to run MATLAB, by typing in 'matlab', the executable command], the program does not run. [Normally at school, the MATLAB GUI pops up, and I'm ready to go.]

How do I make this GUI (as well as the GUI's of other programs] pop up through WinSCP on my home computer? Do I need some sort of plug in? What am I missing here?

Please advise,

Arnie
michaa
[View user's profile]

bravozullu wrote:
Hello,

[Normally at school, the MATLAB GUI pops up, and I'm ready to go.]

How do I make this GUI (as well as the GUI's of other programs] pop up through WinSCP on my home computer?

Hm, me be I do not understand what you try to do, but as nobody esle is answering, I do my best:

WinSCP is a file manager for secure file transmissions. It is not VNC.
The terminal you are using via WinSCP is a shell, not a desktop. There is no "window".
Your progamm MATLAB GUI, is it a shell application or a desktop application? Does it need root permission? Is login allowed for root?
If MATLAB GUI is a shell application (like mc), you should try putty first. If it is a desktop application, you cant use it via putty/WinSCP.

michaa
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Michaa is right.
You maybe theoretically possible to run GUI application from console. But you need to have running another application on your desktop, so called X-windows server.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License