Remote server denies permission to copy from local directory

Advertisement

wolfe

Remote server denies permission to copy from local directory

Dear Martin,

Greetings from South Africa. Thankyou for a useful programme, I am now able to telecommute more effectively. My query is that when I try to move or copy files from my local directory to the remote office server it will not do so. It says "permission denied." I have no problem copying or moving files from the remote (office) to my home computer however. I connect from home to the office. :?

God bless,
Wolfe

Advertisement

wolfe

RE: post log file to resolve copying problem

Dear Martin,

Here is a copy of today's session log file. I tried again to copy from local (home) to remote server (office). It did not work.

Directory content loaded from cache.
Changing directory to "Users".
cd "Users" ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0
Getting current directory name.
pwd ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
/shares/remote/Users
Changing directory to "Administrator".
cd "Administrator" ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
Getting current directory name.
pwd ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
/shares/remote/Users/Administrator
Listing current directory.
ls -la ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
total 1018
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512 Sep 14 2001 .
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512 Jul 15 12:23 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 805776 Apr 15 1999 15_04_1999.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 40988 Nov 16 1999 991116.evt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 192256 Mar 24 2000 USER.DAT
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512 Sep 14 2001 email
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 512 Jun 15 2000 mailbox
Copying 1 files/directories to remote directory "/shares/remote/Users/Administrator/email/"
PrTime: Yes; PrRO: Yes; Rght: r--r--r--; PrR: Yes
FnCs: N; TM: B; AscM: *.*htm*; *.txt; *.php*; *.cgi; *.c; *.cpp; *.h; *.pas; *.bas; *.tex; *.pl; .htaccess; *.xtml; *.css; *.cfg; *.ini; *.sh; *.xml
echo "WinSCP: this is begin-of-file" ; scp -r -p -d -t "/shares/remote/Users/Administrator/email" ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:$?"
WinSCP: this is begin-of-file
SCP remote side confirmation (0)
File: "C:\NALEDI\Labour Observatory\Criteria for assessment of MNCs.doc"
Copying "C:\NALEDI\Labour Observatory\Criteria for assessment of MNCs.doc" to remote directory started.
Binary transfer mode selected.
T1047025310 0 1065564000 0
C0444 20992 Criteria for assessment of MNCs.doc
scp: /shares/remote/Users/Administrator/email/Criteria for assessment of MNCs.doc: Permission denied
SCP remote side error (1):
Asking user:
Copying file "C:\NALEDI\Labour Observatory\Criteria for assessment of MNCs.doc" failed. ("scp: /shares/remote/Users/Administrator/email/Criteria for assessment of MNCs.doc: Permission denied")
E
WinSCP: this is end-of-file:1

Hope this helps.
God bless,
Wolfe

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: RE: post log file to resolve copying problem

With SCP it is hard to tell, why server denies the upload. If other (probably command-line) clients worked for you, you may try to turn off "set permissions" option on copy confirmation dialog. Does it fail only, when same file in remote directory already exists or always?

wolfe

re:posting loge file to resolve copying problem

Dear Martin,

Thankyou for the prompyt reply. I've discovered that the problem is with the server host company. They have disabled uploads for security reasons. Is there any form of security filter that can be used while still alowing uploading? They say WinSCP will allow users with viruses to penetrate the firewall by accident and cause damage. I can always use email to email files to work, but it would be easier to just upload.

God bless,
Wolfe

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: re:posting loge file to resolve copying problem

wolfe wrote:

Is there any form of security filter that can be used while still alowing uploading? They say WinSCP will allow users with viruses to penetrate the firewall by accident and cause damage.
I have no idea what they mean by "allow users with viruses to penetrate the firewall". Of course you may upload files with viruses, when you are allowed to upload. But it seems rather strange to solve it by disabling uploads at all.

wolfe

copying denied from local server

Hi Martin,

They say that an infected file could infect the server at work. I presume this is true. They say their firewall will let WinSCP send files through it without any checks. They are investigating options for me, as it is a bit extreme. There must be options they can use? :roll:

God bless,
Wolfe

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: copying denied from local server

Well, it should be enough to setup antivirus, shouldn't it? It should prevent SFTP server to store any infected file on the server machive in same way as it does not allow this to other applications.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum