Topic "Connecting to computer behind router from proxy"

Newbie_32
[View user's profile]

Hi. I trying to use winscp to transfer file between my home server and my workplace computer. My Ubuntu home server sit behind a router while the computer at my workplace is behind some filewall setting which I have no access to it.

I have done the necessary port forwarding and have managed to access to my home server through putty 0.59. I read the documentation and knew that I can create a tunnel using putty to allow Winscp to connect from my workplace to my homeserver. I have follow the instructions stated in the documentation (https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_tunnel) . But each time winscp will get stuck at connecting to host and eventually give me host has not answered for more than 15seconds. Still waiting. After sometime, it will display Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 0. (note: my putty is still running.)

Below is the event log of putty:
2007-04-27 14:27:37 Local port 3555 forwarding to xxxxxxxx:22
2007-04-27 14:27:37 Allocated pty (ospeed 38400bps, ispeed 38400bps)
2007-04-27 14:27:37 Started a shell/command
2007-04-27 14:27:44 Opening forwarded connection to xxxxxxxxx:22
2007-04-27 14:30:54 Forwarded connection refused by server: Connect failed [Connection timed out]

I am connected to my home server through putty on port 443. winscp have been set to the same proxy setting I did on putty(http). Do I have to set my router to port forward port 3555 to my homeserver too?

Can someone assist me on this?

Tks in advance.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
I may not understand. How do you connect to your home server with PuTTY? To me it seems like you are able to connect directly. If you are, why do you need tunnel for WinSCP?

prikryl wrote:
I may not understand. How do you connect to your home server with PuTTY? To me it seems like you are able to connect directly. If you are, why do you need tunnel for WinSCP?

i am connected to my homeserver using putty via port 443 because my office proxy seems to block the default SSH port 22. (i have set my SSH server to listen to port 443 instead of 22). I cannot connect to my home server using winscp directly. I guess the default port for winscp is blocked too?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Newbie_32 wrote:
i am connected to my homeserver using putty via port 443 because my office proxy seems to block the default SSH port 22. (i have set my SSH server to listen to port 443 instead of 22). I cannot connect to my home server using winscp directly. I guess the default port for winscp is blocked too?

So why don't you connect via port 443 with WinSCP too?

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License