Topic "Charset translation for file names between host and windows"

Andrey Borzenkov

It would be very nice if this be supported. E.g. de-facto standard for Unix in Russian is KOI8 which does not look quite nicely under windows ...

putty fully supports charset translation (using native windows fonts) which makes it one of the best terminal applications. let's make winscp to match it Smile
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Character translation is already on the wishlist Smile

Yes, encoding translation is good. We have BSD server with Samba end everything is written in Win-1250 encoding. I think I am not the only, who has similar problem.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
OK, I'll try to do something with it.

It will very usefull.

I recomment to load encodings from files, and users will can create his encodings himself.

File will be a binari file, 256 bytes (all chars), where specified, what symbol replaces on what.

For example:

void convert(char* sSourceFileName)
{
Encoding=LoadFromFile("koi8.enc");
For i:=0 to sSourceFileName.Len()-1 do
sSourceFileName[i]=Encoding[sSourceFileName[i]];
}

And all file names will be convertes as users want.

Now it is imposible to store files with non-english encodings from server to local mashine, becouse 'invalid file name', if encoding on server different from encoding on local mashine, but it is all time, becouse server is Linux, where 'koi8', but local mashine is Windows where 'win'.
Tarc

Please, do integration with iconv. It's too simple to programme, and you can supprot MANY encodings
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Character set translation is still on the wishlist. However note that this functionality was not ranked high on the recent user poll. So consequently it does not have high priority on the wishlist.
PCJohn

That's the only extension I am missing.
(But I know, the life is short to program everything.)
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
PCJohn wrote:
That's the only extension I am missing.
(But I know, the life is short to program everything.)

Since 3.7.1 WinSCP supports Unicode encoding for SFTP4. So if your server supports SFTP4, the translation should work. If not, ask your vendor to implement it.

prikryl wrote:

So if your server supports SFTP4, the translation should work.

Does OpenSSH support SFTP4? It looks like not for now.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
PCJohn wrote:
Does OpenSSH support SFTP4? It looks like not for now.

It does not. OpenSSH SFTP server is poor one. It seems that they haven't made any changes in the server for years.

Just stumbled upon this issue muyself. Sad
My hoster is using KOI8-R encoding on their servers (Dunno why not the UTF8, but that's up to them), and historically, I have many files uploaded with non-ASCII names... I'd like to have ability to abandon FTP plugin in favor of WinSCP, but the absence of encoding translation preventing the move.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License