Topic "Window comes to the front with sloppy focus enabled."

stuaxo
[View user's profile]

If you enable sloppy focus, but not autoraise using powertools:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

(think having login details in notepad in front, then move the mouse to a part of the command line behind and being able to type into it).

It enables you to type into a window that is not at the front. However with winscp it comes to the front on recieving focus.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Which of the powertoys enable sloppy focus?

prikryl wrote:
Which of the powertoys enable sloppy focus?

Was this ever resolved? I'm having the same problem with the WinSCP file manager being raised whenever the mouse pointer is passing over that window.

The problem is more of an annoyance than anything else, ie it doesn't affect the functionality, it's just irritating.

I also use the MS TweakUI Powertoy v2.10.0.0 with Mouse/X-Mouse/"Activation follows mouse (X-mouse)" checked. Autoraise feature is not checked. Activation delay set to 0.

General/Focus/"Prevent applications from stealing focus" is also checked. WinSCP file manager still steals the focus.

Apparantely "sloppy focus" refers to the x-mouse behaviour normally seen in *nix-environments. Terminology... 8-}
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
This issue has been added to tracker.

Thx.

FWIW, I've seen this behaviour on both WinXP SP2 and WinXP x64 SP2.
adrian_vg
[View user's profile]

Hi,

Any news on this annoyance? It's been a while. Sad
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
adrian_vg wrote:

Nothing yet. I'm sorry, but this does not have a priority.

prikryl wrote:
adrian_vg wrote:

Nothing yet. I'm sorry, but this does not have a priority.

Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that, but thought I'd bump it a bit just in case. You're doing a good job with WinSCP in any case! Very Happy
adrian_vg
[View user's profile]

Sorry to bring this up again, but things seem to have escalated with v4.18. Now when I click Open new session from the Session menu, the WinSCP Login window is hidden behind the filemanager window. Only way to get at it again is to click once in the filemanager and drag the Open session-window out from under the filemanager. If you open new sessions all the time this is not a good thing at all.

In short, this is getting to be a real PITA. Can you pls, pls, pls have a look at this bug? Thanks.
adrian_vg
[View user's profile]

From bad to worse, now all popup windows are getting behind the file manager window, like when you copy, move and so on. Alt-tabbing to get to the popup kinda' works but is definitely a PITA.

Please Martin, can you do something about this?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
adrian_vg wrote:

I probably can. But as I said, there are more important tasks. Sorry Sad

prikryl wrote:
adrian_vg wrote:

I probably can. But as I said, there are more important tasks. Sorry Sad

I know. This is freeware and all, and I can't expect you to fix it now like, but still. The problem is seriuosly impeding regular work.

Is there a commercial version of WinSCP, which if I buy a license for, this'll be fixed?
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
adrian_vg wrote:
Is there a commercial version of WinSCP, which if I buy a license for, this'll be fixed?

There's no commercial version. Sorry.

just chiming in, i hope this bug draws attention someday. thanks very much for the effort

I am using WinSCP Version 4.1.7, Build 413, and Power Toys TweakUI 2.10.0.0, also with activation follows X-mouse, no autoraise. I like WinSCP and it is very important for my work, because I need to work a lot with remote servers. I have exactly the same problem, and it is driving me insane. Thank you for bringing this problem to attention. It would be great if this could either be fixed, or if s/o could post how to get X-mouse no autoraise - functionality in some other way w/o Tweak UI, while retaining sane behaviour of the otherwise fantastic WinSCP.

stuaxo wrote:
If you enable sloppy focus, but not autoraise using powertools:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

(think having login details in notepad in front, then move the mouse to a part of the command line behind and being able to type into it).

It enables you to type into a window that is not at the front. However with winscp it comes to the front on recieving focus.
Ristomatti

Hello,

What's the status on this bug? It has been driving me nuts for several years now. Smile Why is WinSCP setting itself as the top window automatically when activating but no other window?

Best regards,

Ristomatti
davidm

just like to add my vote for this one. just started using the program, but this aspect makes it problematic. It's hardly the only program out there that misbehaves like this, but I'm not expecting a response from MS Visual Studio developers, so I try where I can. Smile
dag-
[View user's profile]

Yes please, this issue is bugging me every day.

Both the fact that the default explorer-window comes to front when hovering (sloppy focus) as well as that some other windows appear behind other windows. Which is frustrating as well.
adrian_vg
[View user's profile]

Visionapps Remote Desktop (vRD) had the same problem when they recently released a new version which featured themes. The problem was fixed in the nex patch-release. VRD is commercial though. Wink
Bob

WinSCP used to time out periodically when connected to a remote site. Now, instead of timing out, it steals the focus on my desktop. This is pretty annoying if I'm working in another application.
DavidM
[View user's profile]

This one has been biting me for two years, too. I use True X-Mouse. It's especially troublesome when using multiple WinSCP sessions.

The particular manifestation is peculiar, though - Editor/Viewer windows, for instance do NOT get auto-raised, only the Control window. But, if WinSCP already has the focus, via pointing at an editor window (which has not been auto-raised), then you slide the focus to the Control window, then that DOESN'T autoraise it. Only when you move the focus from another application directly to the Control window does it raise.

I'll say that, thankfully, all the windows respond to z-order commands (move to back, bring to front). IE, for instance, doesn't respond to those commands.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
DavidM wrote:
The particular manifestation is peculiar, though - Editor/Viewer windows, for instance do NOT get auto-raised, only the Control window. But, if WinSCP already has the focus, via pointing at an editor window (which has not been auto-raised), then you slide the focus to the Control window, then that DOESN'T autoraise it. Only when you move the focus from another application directly to the Control window does it raise.

What version of WinSCP are you using? Have you tried 5.0.x beta?

I'm using v4.3.3

My corporate network blocks most "download" sites, so I just dug up the most recent version they had packaged for me.

Getting new versions is a pain, but if I know there is something specific fixed in a particular version, or if we are just way behind, I can ask for it to be made available.

I will try 5.3.3 on a personal machine if I think of it.
adrian_vg
[View user's profile]

I recently added another monitor to my home-rig, and the x-mouse function was IMO necessary. I run Windows 7 Pro x64. TweakUI doesn't support this OS. However, the little applet X-Mouse Button Control does. After installing and testing it, specifically after checking the "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" things seem beeter. As far as I can see, WinSCP doesn't pop up ontop of eveyrthing using this sort of focus.

Might be worth a try anyway, and see if it does it for you guys.

The X-Mouse Button Control is freeware and available at http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm.

adrian_vg wrote:
I recently added another monitor to my home-rig, and the x-mouse function was IMO necessary. I run Windows 7 Pro x64. TweakUI doesn't support this OS. However, the little applet X-Mouse Button Control does. After installing and testing it, specifically after checking the "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" things seem beeter. As far as I can see, WinSCP doesn't pop up ontop of eveyrthing using this sort of focus.

Might be worth a try anyway, and see if it does it for you guys.

The X-Mouse Button Control is freeware and available at http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm.

Running the "True X-Mouse Gizmo" adds X-mouse behaviour. WinSCP stills doesn't popup over everything. I think the WinSCP problem has been solved. At least for me.

True X-Mouse Gizmo can be found on http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/TXMouse/.

HTH.

Nah, TXmouse didn't do it. WinSCP for some reason pops up again over everything again... I went back to running only "X-Mouse button control" again. Blast...
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Have anyone tried the 5.0.x beta?

Tried 5.0.5 using XP and TweakUI X-Mouse option. Still auto-raises.

For years, I have wished this bug be fixed. Thanks.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License