Topic "Continuous 'tail' command"

lhannay
[View user's profile]
Donor
Hi,

I have set up 'tail --lines 50 myfilename' as a custom command and it works great. However, when I try to make it continuous, i.e. by adding the '-f' or '--follow' option it doesn't work; instead it aborts with a timeout error.

Is there any way to get the tail command to be more than a one-shot deal?

Thanks,
Larry
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
No, it is not possible.

While trying to do the same (tail -f "!") I came across the same problem and found this thread.

What I'd like to to is to monitor log files with one click. Right now the only solution is to open a Putty session, browse to the path of the file in question and then tail -f.

I could imagine tree solutions:
1. Pipe the output of "tail -f" into the terminal window
2. Add a "follow" feature to the internal editor of WinSCP
3. Allow the user to set up an external tail program (e.g. http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baretail/index.php), just like an external editor

Would there be any chance to have one of the solutions above added to the wish list? I have no particular preference regarding the solution.

Hm, thinking about it: a "add Putty session here" in the context menu of folders would also be a nice addition (just like "Command Prompt Here" on Windows).

Thanks
Danny
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Danny D wrote:
1. Pipe the output of "tail -f" into the terminal window

This is impossible for technical reasons.

Quote:
2. Add a "follow" feature to the internal editor of WinSCP
3. Allow the user to set up an external tail program (e.g. http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baretail/index.php), just like an external editor

This request has been added to tracker.

Quote:
Hm, thinking about it: a "add Putty session here" in the context menu of folders would also be a nice addition (just like "Command Prompt Here" on Windows).

There's no way to tell PuTTY (or SSH terminal in general) in which directory it should start.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License