Topic "Editing _remote_ files with external editor"

Taci

I use WinSCP to edit source files on a webserver, and the only think i miss from this great tool, is editing remote files with my favourite programmer's editor (jEdit actually)

I download the file, edit it locally, then I copy it back to the server. It's too many steps! Crying or Very sad

Total Commander (Which I can't use becouse it lacks SFTP support... Sad ) copies the remote file to a local temporary folder, calls externel aditor with THAT filename, and when I close the editor, it transfers the file back. That's nice, it saves me some steps Wink

Thanks for WinSCP, I like 'Synchronised browsing' feature best, it _also_ saves time/clicks! Cool
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Taci wrote:
Total Commander (Which I can't use becouse it lacks SFTP support... Sad ) copies the remote file to a local temporary folder, calls externel aditor with THAT filename, and when I close the editor, it transfers the file back. That's nice, it saves me some steps Wink

WinSCP has this functionality too, since version 3.0! You may specify your preferred editor in Preferences.

Wow. I've used both jEdit and winscp for quite some time but never knew about this configuration. Thanks for the excellent hint.

prikryl wrote:
Taci wrote:

WinSCP has this functionality too, since version 3.0! You may specify your preferred editor in Preferences.
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License