Topic "SBS 2003 autoschedule backup to Linux server"

Author Message
BER

Guest


Hi Ive come across winscp and found it to be a very good software, unfortunately I dont have good command line knowledge so my modifying the software is limited.
I would like to setup external backup services.
I have installed it on a SBS 2003 and setup a SFTP link to my Linux server (offsite)
Every so often the server needs to be rebooted for servicing reasons and as such the online mirroring of files that is being synched with my Linux server is lost and needs to be manually reconnected.
Is it possible to have winscp start up automatically and reconnect with my Linux server.
The Link is initiated by the Windows SBS 2003 server.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
How do you use WinSCP form the server (i.e. what is you script)?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
BER
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2009-02-19
Posts: 4
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
prikryl wrote:
How do you use WinSCP form the server (i.e. what is you script)?


Hi Martin, excuse me for my ignorance, I not too sure what you mean by script, Im using the server GUI have set it up to synch with the remote Linux server directory. It constantly monitors the two directories and updates it.
Im not too good with command line, I came across an example that utlizes windows scheduling capability, this is what im after. Just needs some support how to integrate this with Windows SBS 2003. Smile
BER
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2009-02-19
Posts: 4
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
BER wrote:
prikryl wrote:
How do you use WinSCP form the server (i.e. what is you script)?


Hi Martin, excuse me for my ignorance, I not too sure what you mean by script, Im using the server GUI have set it up to synch with the remote Linux server directory. It constantly monitors the two directories and updates it.
Im not too good with command line, I came across an example that utlizes windows scheduling capability, this is what im after. Just needs some support how to integrate this with Windows SBS 2003. Smile



sorry forgot to send you the sample instructions...

To add new scheduled task:

* Go to Windows Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task. On Windows Vista go to Windows Start Menu > Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler.
* Browse for WinSCP.exe executable, and setup other task properties (like period of execution).
* In advanced properties add appropriate WinSCP command-line parameters to execute the scripting commands you need (typically you will use /script or /command parameters).
The resulting command may look like:
C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe /command open user:password@example.com put d:\examplefile.txt /home/user/ exit
Note that the command-line parameter /console was not specified, what makes WinSCP.exe not show the console window, not to disturb you while you are using your workstation.
* You may want to use /log parameter to turn on logging to file.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
Sorry, I still probably do not understand.
Problem is probably that when you say only "server", I do not know if you refer to SBS or Linux server.

So I do not know what sever you restart (Windows or Linux)?
I suppose you want to backup files from your Windows machine to the Linux one, right?
_________________
Martin Prikryl
BER
[View user's profile]

Joined: 2009-02-19
Posts: 4
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
prikryl wrote:
Sorry, I still probably do not understand.
Problem is probably that when you say only "server", I do not know if you refer to SBS or Linux server.

So I do not know what sever you restart (Windows or Linux)?
I suppose you want to backup files from your Windows machine to the Linux one, right?


Yes I want to backup my Windows SBS 2003 server to myn Linux.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Joined: 2002-12-10
Posts: 24555
Location: Prague, Czechia
BER wrote:
Yes I want to backup my Windows SBS 2003 server to myn Linux.

OK, so just schedule regular synchronization. If should work. If it does not, let me know what does not work.
_________________
Martin Prikryl
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum






Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License