Topic "Multiple connections to server in single WinSCP session....."

jefe
[View user's profile]
Donor
In uploading to my server on the west coast of the U.S. I typically see upstream speeds of 330 kB/s. My ISP provides me with an upstream bandwidth of 20+ mb/s. I like to be able to use more of the upstream pipe I have available to shorten file transfers.

If I have multiple files to transfer I can do so by opening multiple sessions of WinSCP and starting one (or several) transfers in each session. By doing that I see ~330 kB/s in each of the sessions, until I saturate my upstream pipe.

It would be great if WinSCP offered the option to connect X times to a server, thus allowing multiple files to transfer simultaneously.
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
jefe wrote:
It would be great if WinSCP offered the option to connect X times to a server, thus allowing multiple files to transfer simultaneously.

Well, it does. You can use up to nine background transfers.
Donor
Wow. Yes it does...and that works great!

Disregard my request for a feature that's already in place...and thank you for the heads up.
steveinor

Is it possible to increase the limit of 9 simultaneous transfers? I have a high speed uplink, my target ftp server has a high speed inbound link. The limitation on transfer speeds is the latency across the net (from the West Coast to India). when I manually "execute now" more than 9, I see a significant improvement in utilized bandwidth. (I know that going too high will cause a drop in throughput... but 9 doesn't saturate any of the system or network resources involved.)

Thanks for the great work on winSCP!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
steveinor wrote:
Is it possible to increase the limit of 9 simultaneous transfers? I have a high speed uplink, my target ftp server has a high speed inbound link. The limitation on transfer speeds is the latency across the net (from the West Coast to India). when I manually "execute now" more than 9, I see a significant improvement in utilized bandwidth. (I know that going too high will cause a drop in throughput... but 9 doesn't saturate any of the system or network resources involved.)

I 'm not sure if I want to allow users to make more than 10 connections to single server that easily. Moreover most FTP server wouldn't allow you anyway.

Well, in my case, it works fine on both the sending and receiving ends. This provides a huge improvement in throughput for me. It would be great to have this happen "automatically" based on the settings rather than forcing it to happen with a series of "execute now" steps on each transfer. I suspect that this is just a constant change in the code, right?

Thanks!
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
steveinor wrote:
I suspect that this is just a constant change in the code, right?

Right. Though I have just tried to set the limit higher. Unfortunately, WinSCP became instable then.

Thanks for checking into it, Martin.
Varun Raj

prikryl wrote:
steveinor wrote:
I suspect that this is just a constant change in the code, right?

Right. Though I have just tried to set the limit higher. Unfortunately, WinSCP became instable then.

would it be possible to add an option somewhere that we could check or uncheck while downloading/uploading stuff from an SFTP/ftp server?

If we are allowed around 4 connections per file it should help a lot
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Varun Raj wrote:
would it be possible to add an option somewhere that we could check or uncheck while downloading/uploading stuff from an SFTP/ftp server?

If we are allowed around 4 connections per file it should help a lot

This request has been added to tracker.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License