EAccessViolation

Advertisement

EAccessViolation

While copying files from a remote server, I received an EAccessViolation error with the following text message:

<EAccessViolation>
Overflow while converting variant of type (Integer) into type (LongWord)
</EAccessViolation>
I cannot pinpoint what triggered it but I believe it has something to do with the running total of all the bytes copied.

At the time the running total was around 33 GB.

The file that was being copied was about 19 MB.

It was running for something like 12 hours when it blew up. I hate to do this all over again.

Advertisement

Re: EAccessViolation

martin wrote:

Thanks for your report. Currently I do not know what may cause this. Maybe I'll find something.

OK. I did another run with a different batch.

The cut-off point seems to around 32 GB total transferred.

This time I got just an AV.

BTW, if it helps, all files needed character translation.

mauder

Overflow

Hi,

today I got exactly the same message with winscp 4.25

"Overflow while converting variant of type (Integer) into type (LongWord)"

after transferring 261710 MiB. It seems to me that the total size of files is limited to 256GB in this version.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Overflow

mauder wrote:

Hi,

today I got exactly the same message with winscp 4.25

"Overflow while converting variant of type (Integer) into type (LongWord)"

after transferring 261710 MiB. It seems to me that the total size of files is limited to 256GB in this version.
What protocol? Upload or download? Single file or multiple files?

martin wrote:

What protocol? Upload or download? Single file or multiple files?

sorry, I should have given you that information directly:

Protocol is sftp
I only tried download up to now.
Multiple files (about 2000 files, 880GB together)
Operating system is WinXP SP3

Downloading the same files splitted in four smaller groups did work without problems.

Anonymous wrote:

Downloading the same files splitted in four smaller groups did work without problems.

At least when restarting winscp after each group of files. I have the impression that the 256 GB limit is for all copy actions in one winscp session, but I have to check this again.

Anonymous wrote:

... I have to check this again.

It took some time to test such large transfers to an USB disk. But it reconfirms what I wrote before:

If I do e.g. two sftp transfers (doesn't matter how many files) with e.g. 150GB each the second transfer stops after about 105GB transferred with the overflow error message. From now on I can not even transfer one byte without getting the same error until I restart winscp. Then the file which did stop shortly before is copied without problems until again the size of 256GB is reached.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I've spent more than a week trying to reproduce that, without any luck. How long does it take for you to transfer the 256 GB?

martin wrote:

I've spent more than a week trying to reproduce that, without any luck. How long does it take for you to transfer the 256 GB?

It took about 7 hours each time to get the error.
Does "without any luck" mean you were able to download more then 256GB without errors?
Can my problem depend on other programs? E.g. The data copied with winscp are written to a truecrypt partition on an external USB drive. But the error message does not come from truecrypt, right?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Does "without any luck" mean you were able to download more then 256GB without errors?
Yes.

Can my problem depend on other programs? E.g. The data copied with winscp are written to a truecrypt partition on an external USB drive. But the error message does not come from truecrypt, right?
I believe it comes from WinSCP.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

martin wrote:

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

I sent you an email with subject "256 GB limit"

mengesb

I think I too am affected by this problem, though I do not know if it is a file transfer limit, or a file count limit.

I have a directory with 5.1+ million files, totaling over 450gb in size, and I got the following error:

Overflow while converting variant of type (Integer) into type (LongWord)

Because of the length of transfer, I don't get to see after how long this occurred because it takes longer than 12 hours. I'm using version 4.0.5 build 354, transfering using SFTP-3. I've updated to 4.2.6 now, but I also don't see a transfer log so I don't know at what point it failed. Any help with this would be excellent.

At the moment I'm running the debug version to get an error log of the problem. But because this version is more than 20 times slower, it will take up to next week to finish.

Kerry

Any news on this problem as I have just experienced the same problem copying files from a linux file server (gentoo) using winscp. It occurs after the 256gb limit.

Cheers, Kerry

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Kerry wrote:

Any news on this problem as I have just experienced the same problem copying files from a linux file server (gentoo) using winscp. It occurs after the 256gb limit.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Kerry wrote:

Cheers, Kerry

After 4 weeks I managed today to get a usable debug file for this problem and sent the last few thousand lines to Martin. Hopefully he will find something. Unfortunately the whole log file is about 65GB in size.

Advertisement

Gest

error listing directory overflow while converting variant

While copyng 4TB from esx vmfs4 to windows 7 usb drive exFAT got this message at about 1TB of data with version 4.2.7 of winscp (latest of yesterday).
I was not able to browse with winscp the directory - getting the same error.

Was copying with 3 threads at a time.
Seems to be doing it this with large file, in queue mode, with multiple files.

error listing directory
overflow while converting variant of Type (Integer) to type (LongWord)

First time I get error with winscp - great product.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum