Topic "WinScp freezes when copying dirs with named pipes in it"

Axel

Hello,
here is one bug or feature I found. When I am trying to copy a small directory from i.e. linux to windows, and there is a named pipe in it (mknod name p), winscp stops there and freezes or there comes a "Host is not communicaing for more thant 15 seconds" popup. When deleting that fifo everything works. Maybe you can implement some check for ugly filetypes.

- Winscp Version 427 or older
- Win XP SP3
- SFTP-3 protocol
- Manual copy, GUI, F5 key
- Steps to reproduce: mkdir /tmp/aaa;cd /tmp/aaa;touch a b c x y z; mknod d pipe; then try to copy that dir aaa to your pc.

Greetings,
Axel
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
WinSCP does what you ask it to do. It may be perfectly reasonable to copy named pipe.

It's not that I want to copy pipes! When I try to copy a dir with hundred files and there is a pipe in it it just stops and you don't know why. A popup "Warning! Cannot copy a named pipe!" woud be great.
bheinsius
[View user's profile]

I run into this problem too. it is a problem for me because I copy a folder containing hundreds of subfolders that contain thousands of files, and the complete copy stops whenever it encounters a named pipe. only workaround for me is to copy file-by-file.

winscp gives the following dialog window:
> Host is not communicating for more that 15 seconds. Still waiting...
> Warning: Aborting this operation will close connection!
> [Abort] [Help]

this is WinSCP Version 4.3.8 (Build 1771)
copying files from ubuntu 11.04 to windows vista.
new/updated files only in background transfer
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
bheinsius wrote:
I run into this problem too. it is a problem for me because I copy a folder containing hundreds of subfolders that contain thousands of files, and the complete copy stops whenever it encounters a named pipe. only workaround for me is to copy file-by-file.

You can use an exclude mask to exclude all interfering named pipes.
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_transfer_custom

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License